Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

November 5th, 2013 13:00

XPS8700 short beep

During start up of the XPS 8700 I get 1 short beep before the Dell Logo screen opens. I have ran the PSA test from the F12 key and had no return on errors. I also see that the BIOS is A4. I still am running Windows 8. My system has had this beep from when first purchased. Looking at the wiki from the Desktop General Hardware FAQ is shows the one beep to be a system board or a BIOS ROM failure! I also notice that the keyboard is set to start with the NUMLock key = ON setting in boot setting configuration but the keyboard does not start in that state. Any ideas?

On another question I also would like to use my old Dell Bluetooth keyboard and mouse (model #Y-RAQ-DEL2) (from my old XPS420) instead of the USB versions. The Bluetooth keyboard and mouse will work but what I have noticed is they will not wake the computer from sleep. In device manage it list the keyboard as a HID keyboard device and under the properties/power management it is checked to allow this device to wake the computer, ditto for mouse. Also, when I use this setup I get a "KEYBOARD FAILURE" at black screen before the Dell LOGO screen appears. This keyboard and mouse works fine on the old XPS 420.

For all of the problems listed the computer runs fine and nothing erratic is happening.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

November 5th, 2013 13:00

A single beep is OK. A hardware failure would have a repetitive single beep.-- 1 beep, pause, 1 beep, pause etc My 8700 does the same thing.

The kb might be too old or doesn't have win 8 drivers and that's why it's not recognized before booting to windows. Check the compatibility center to see if you can use it. I would replace it or you'll always get KB failure message and you could have more booting problems. Did you set up bluetooth and find win 8 drivers for it? No drivers--you will have to replace it.

27 Posts

November 6th, 2013 14:00

Mary, you might need to look into your issue! I just got a response back from Dell on 11/6/2013 and they are stating---------

"Further, in regards to the issues with ‘Beep Code’ at startup; it seems that the Motherboard is a point of failure and needs replacement. I would like to assure you that we will replace the Motherboard in the system "

Now I am totally disgusted in a system that is but 20 days old. I think I will be returning my product to Dell. It seems like one hand doesn't know what the other is doing and I am the guinea pig. Nope, not me. Until Dell can get their act together I will steer clear from them. looks like they will get another computer back!

On another post (XPS8700 Issues:need feedback) I saw this reply

"Hi all,

Sorry for the confusion arising for this. For this particular model, only repeated beep codes indicate an error condition. One single beep will indicate that the system has passed POST tests and can continue to boot to the installed operating system.

I'm sorry that the issues experienced by denmarfl resulted in them feeling they had to return their system but I'd like to reassure you that a single beep for this system is normal and will not affect the performance of this system.

Kind regards,
John C

John C
Dell | Social Outreach Services

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)"

27 Posts

November 6th, 2013 14:00

Hi

I have a brand new Dell XPS 8700 and it does one short beep at boot, which I understand is normal and indicates a successful POST.

My sister in law has the same exact Dell XPS 8700 pc, and her machine beeps once at boot as well.

From what I understand this is normal and not indicative of a problem.

27 Posts

November 6th, 2013 15:00

Wow again. Maybe we should go work for Dell because the Tech (name withheld) specifically states "

Further, in regards to the issues with ‘Beep Code’ at startup; it seems that the Motherboard is a point of failure and needs replacement. I would like to assure you that we will replace the Motherboard in the system".

I thank you for the insight and it makes me somewhat relieved but I tend to trust the info from the Tech at Dell and he specifically states the motherboard needs replacing. I think maybe you and you sister might want to open up a Tech request about your problem. It seems that they most likely have put in a bunch of bad boards and only the people experiencing the beep problem are talking about it. I think for the money we have invested it would be good to open a case just so you will have it on record. I still have about 10 days to return my system to Dell and would hope that you still have ample time to get yours returned before they start playing parts swap on your.

27 Posts

November 6th, 2013 15:00

Yes, it's misleading, as are related troubleshooting documents available from Dell.  I had the same panic attack when I bought mine a few weeks ago and it beeped at first boot.  I researched the issue online and found several forum threads and complaints about Dell support, and beep code troubleshooting charts all suggesting that one beep at boot is a sign of a mother board error.  One customer actually shipped his pc back to Dell even though all diags passed and no problems existed other than the notorious beep.  Also, nothing anywhere in writing from Dell that one beep at boot  is normal.   

The bottom line is if the PC boots and loads the operating system and all's well, there's no reason to be concerned.

Also, I would suggest getting a 256 GB SSD drive for under $200, reinstalling the OS on it from scratch, and using the hard drive for data storage and backup.  The XPS 8700 screams.

27 Posts

November 6th, 2013 17:00

I have really grown fond of the 8700.  I must say it is a very fine machine, one I don’t want to part with but due to the confusion and lack of knowledge of the product from the people at Dell and getting  different answers from their employees and because of the uninformed Associates I will have to return it and let someone else be the test rabbit. I probably will go back to my old XPS 420. At least I  know what it is supposed to do.

I believe you have put in much effort researching the issue but until I here it first hand from the DELL Tech's I won't sit back and have a  wait and see attitude. I'm not satisfied with all of the two sided answers I expect better and so should everyone else who has supported DELL. It is their job to provide the research and support.  You should at least open up a Tech ticket so you will have documentation.  It wouldn’t hurt anything and you can then see what answers you get and post them back. It would benefit the consumer if people were more aware of the product. The worst that could happen is we get someone to address the issue with the short beep and get a correct response or we can get the computer working as it is supposed to. Now I am left with the decision of having to “replace the motherboard” and they can have a tech come out and do it, or I can send it back within the 30 day limit and not have to deal with a company whose employees aren’t familiar with the product they sell. I don’t want someone ripping into my new system and putting in a rebuilt part only to have it beep a short beep on startup after it is replaced and then have them say, “a single beep for the system is normal”. 

As of now I have  John C. from DELL Social Outreach Services telling me it is normal and then on the other I have Y-S- from Dell Technical Support telling me the motherboard needs replacing. By the signature on his email I assume he has firsthand knowledge about a problem with the motherboard where as John C. is a Social Outreach Services rep. Who would you believe? The tech who I assume works with the unit on a day to day basis. I plead to you all who say it is normal, to get a first hand first person acknowledgement from Dell Support.  As I said before it wouldn’t hurt and who knows it might start the departments at Dell communicating with each other.  Either way me as the consumer lose because of the time and frustration I have put into this. Maybe they will change the manual and state the beep is normal and should be ignored maybe they will recall all of them and put new boards in. Either way DELL should address this issue and straighten up the confusion amongst the departments and with the public.

5 Practitioner

• 

353 Posts

November 7th, 2013 09:00

Hi BeepsWhirls,

I can understand your frustrations as you're being told two different messages, however I just want to put your mind at ease - Dell representatives that have signatures stating that they are from Social Outreach Services are part of the overall Technical Support organisation at Dell. I myself have been part of Dell Technical Support in various roles for 7 years.

Regarding the confusion surrounding this, I want to reiterate that only repeated beeps from this system relate to error conditions. A single beep from the system at POST indicates that the system has passed the POST successfully and will boot to the installed operating system. As such, a single beep shows that the system is functioning 

I've sent you a friend request asking for case details - this is so I can contact the agents you have been dealing with in order to ensure that the correct message is passed on to all of our customers who may contact about this.

Thanks again!

29 Posts

December 1st, 2013 20:00

Glad to hear it. I was going to call in about the beep myself.

I am intrigued, however, that the Dell give so little info when its doing the post check. Is there any way to see the various tests its running? Also, when its past post, it does not give the old message to hit f12, or f2, etc. I wonder why that wasl left out on the newer models.

Brad

July 7th, 2015 20:00

Hpsupercell is here I'm having the same problem to but mine is about two years old at most. It did boot up earlier fine but I had tons of sudden annoying restarts, Please make this rightfor all of us.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 8th, 2015 11:00

Hpsupercell is here I'm having the same problem to but mine is about two years old at most. It did boot up earlier fine but I had tons of sudden annoying restarts, Please make this rightfor all of us.

Please don't double-post the same question. Answered in your other thread.

No Events found!