chouichanga
2 Iron

XPS8910 Transfer OS from 2TB-HD/32GB-Cache-SSD to a separate SSD?

I had placed this question in a thread on what is an unrelated issue, so forgive me for double posting this:

Although I've read several threads here about placing an SSD as the data drive and leaving the 2TB platter/32GB cache SSD as a data drive, I'm still very concerned about the problems that many users are reporting. Is there a surefire way to make sure that this process actually arrives at a successful result?

XPS 8910 i7 6700K GTX 970 LG 27" Win 10

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Velocity822
1 Nickel

RE: XPS8910 Transfer OS from 2TB-HD/32GB-Cache-SSD to a separate SSD?

So you have two drives?

0 Kudos
jdrodrig
1 Nickel

once you have the disk clonned, what you can do is open the box again and swap the SATA data cables as they connect to the MoBo. so the system could boot from the same sata data port, but it will be now connected to your SSD.

I did that on my XPS 8910. I installed two Crucial 1TB SSDs 2.5 7mm. as I just had powered the computer for the first time, the cloning took 5 minutes, then for a second I tried to find the BIOS option to manually select one of the crucial disk as boot (used to do this on my old XPS 435), after a few minutes of not seeing the option, I just swaped the data connectors in the MoBo and it worked fine.

0 Kudos
Velocity822
1 Nickel

I'm confused by this somewhat.  I know what you want to do.  You want to put an OS on a different hard disk.  This is quite easy.  First thing is install your operating system on the other drive it's not on currently.  Either by cut and paste or your conventional route.  Then go into your other drive you want to store your stuff on.  Make sure you are using your new OS drive as a surefire OS install drive first.  While you are checking your old drive, then make sure all partitions are still there, new ones and such.  Delete anything you want and keep what you need also if you like.

7- Thorium

You may not be able to clone the old HDD and then image a new, large SSD with that image. The 2T is likely installed in a RAID setup with the 32-GB SSD, so the 32-GB is used as a cache for things Windows needs quickly.

If you install a large SSD (eg 256 GB) and put Windows on it, you won't use the 32-GB cache drive (which should be removed from the PC) so you wouldn't install the OS as a RAID setup. Meaning you'd have to do a clean install on the new SSD.

If you just copy the clone over to the new SSD, it's not going to boot.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
chouichanga
2 Iron

RoHe: Yes, this is the conclusion that I've seen in other threads, and that's why it makes me very wary to mess with the C: drive at all. In the past I've been able to get access to a completely fresh OS install as a 6+GB download from the Dell site directly. Does you know if that download is available for the i7 6700K version of the 8910?

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

The OS download file doesn't seem to be available -as of now- on Dell's support page for the XPS 8910.

You can download all the tools and files to do a clean Win 10 install for free directly from Microsoft.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

One more point...

Dell can be slow in updating files on their download pages. So you're probably better off getting the Win 10 ISO file directly from Microsoft anyway. You're likely to get the Anniversary Update ISO from Microsoft, which will save you from installing Win 10 from Dell, and then having to update that to the Anniversary edition.

And you'll get a cleaner install if you load the Anniversary Update from the get-go.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
chouichanga
2 Iron

Thank you for your helpful reply. I will definitely follow your advice. Just for confirmation, after the Win10 reinstall from the MS site I would have to go through and install all the drivers again from scratch from the Dell site, correct?

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Correct. Start with chipset drivers, then video, network (Ethernet and WiFi), audio, etc in order

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos