Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 29th, 2015 13:00

Xps 420 power supply sparking when plugged in.

Hi everyone,

I have an xps 420 that I got in 2008 and use it a lot.  I unplugged it once and when I went to plug it in there is a really big spark.  I was able to see the spark in other outlets of the serge protector.  It never did this before and was wondering it I need a new PSU or if it is fine.

1.2K Posts

March 29th, 2015 14:00

If a PSU were to spark it would be inside the computer I think.

maybe it was just the surge protector shorting out?

Is the power cable damaged to the computer?

I would use a new power cord to the computer and buy a new surge protector and see if it all works and then consider if the PSU might be bad or not.

4 Posts

March 29th, 2015 15:00

When it sparks it is in the serge protector not the PSU. I think the serge protector is fine because I have other things connected to it and they work fine and do not spark when plugged in.  I have not tried another cable yet.

5.2K Posts

March 29th, 2015 20:00

Most computers spark at the plug because the computer power supply is always drawing power, even when the computer is off off.  This is normal. There are several reasons. One is to provide a stable 5 volt supply to allow for a smooth start up, This is instant-on for TVs. Second is to allow for the computer to turn on with the sending several types signals; Wake-on-Lan is one.

4 Posts

April 3rd, 2015 15:00

Hi.

Sorry for the long reply. I am only worried about this because it just started doing this recently. I was having other problems that make me think it is the PSU. It was running warmer than usual and was getting 134 light codes more than it used too. Some of my newer computers don't spark at all and when they do it is a lot smaller than this. This spark is very big and visible in one of the outlets.

Thanks

4 Posts

April 3rd, 2015 19:00

I have not been using it since it has started happening. I can't send it in because it is from 2008. Me and a friend are going to upgrade it soon. We are going to replace the PSU when we do. The serge protecter is fine I think because other things work in it. I have PS3 ps4 wii u and a monitor and they all work fine

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

April 3rd, 2015 19:00

I say you should stop using it until you figure out and fix the problem, before something major happens.  Not worth the risk..!

Take it to a PC shop for a checkup...

My 2-cents...

No Events found!