Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 6th, 2008 20:00

Xps 420 with gtx 260

Hey i recently upgraded my gpu the 8800gtx with the gtx 260 i have a few questions i have a 425w psu and the card seems to run fine i have a 500w dell silencer on order and i would prefer just to send it back if i can as i have never installed one before.

The thing is i have ran 3dmark06 and only get 12400 i could get 11500 on my 8800 gtx now i know 3dmark 06 is  dx9 and the gtx260 would shine at higher rez but what i can see on other forums is i should be getting around 14000 on it do you guys think this could be due to the psu or am i just beaing greedy.

ps i have had no issues with the card it runs my games fine all on max  assasins creed,bioshock,universe at war,sins of a solar empire,guildwars and the witcher all at 1680 1050 rez its only crysis that i cant max but im not suprized by that.

sorry to ramble on but i know if my games run great i should just be happy but its kinda the priciple of my gpu not running at its best :)

52 Posts

July 6th, 2008 21:00

Hey thanks for the reply i will answer what i can but some of what you have said i dont understand my level of expertise is definatly enthusiastic user lol.

I used the 2 6 pin connectors the same as what the 8800gtx used which are straight from the psu.

the card is from a glance exactly the same dimesions as the 8800gtx so it fit perfectly :) infact the 8800gtx in my system actually had a 1.5 inch piece of metal comming of it toward the cpu it slotted underneith and rested on something i presume it was for support but it wasnt needed as the gtx260 is fitted and steady.

As for the noise i actually think its quieter,

im glad to hear you think the psu can handle the card, and for the rest of what you said i dont really understand it :/ oh and i will take a few pics 2morrow and post them for you

175 Posts

July 6th, 2008 21:00

I have no answers for you but rather a few questions :), I'm interested in knowing how the 260 installs on the XPS 420.

- Did you used the two 6 pin connectors from the PSU or did you use one connector hooked to the splitter that comes with the card?

- The card is thick and long, is the fan "clear" of obstacles or is it too close to the CPU shroud?

- How is the noise level of the card compared to the 8800?

- Do you have any pictures of the card installed? :)

I have run some numbers and the 425W seems to be capable of the power that the 260 needs.  Both 6 pin connectors are hooked to the VC lane, so either should do it, though the manual says to use P15 of the PSU connectors.

Thanks,

Rafa.

Message Edited by Rafael Polit on 07-06-2008 05:10 PM

175 Posts

July 7th, 2008 17:00

Thanks Raven,

The info you provided is very useful.  I look forward to those pictures... I was very concerned about the fan being to close to the CPU shroud, go to know it isnt.  What temps. are you reading on the GPU?

What brand and model of the 260 do you have?  I'm betting those higher benchmarks are the result of factory overclocked or user overclocked cards.

Rafa.

Message Edited by Rafael Polit on 07-07-2008 01:35 PM

52 Posts

July 7th, 2008 20:00

So hears the pics you asked for the gpu idles at around 52 degrees, and taking a closer look its clear the gpu is thicker than the 8800gtx and the fan is close to the cpu mount but if it helps i have gamed on assasins creed bioshock and crysis for about 3 hourse at a time without any issue +next time i will monitor the temps :)

175 Posts

July 7th, 2008 21:00

Thanks for the pictures, they illustrate perfectly what I wanted to learn about.  I am a bit concerned about air when the fan is directly beneath and so close to the shroud.

One further question: are you able to close the blue GPU-holding bracket over the 260 or did you uninstall the whole thing?

Thanks a lot,

Rafa.

52 Posts

July 8th, 2008 04:00

the bracket closes fine i will runsome apps tonight and record the temp for you also im gonna install the new psu when it arrives and see if i see any perfrmace gains

14 Posts

October 12th, 2008 19:00

looking at the replies I am a bit concerned as why those questions, there is nothing wrong with the benchmarks as there are different versions of this card,  maybe they are overclocked slightlly, also the gtx 260 is far superior card than the 8800gtx which was the old g80 and the gtx260 being the g200 chipset,

the card looks fine as that is how they are fitted as they draw the air out through the pci bracets as one will have the fins on it, there is also no need for you to buy another psu as the one you are using is fine, also the answers you recieved from the other member are a bit confusing as does he want to buy a gtx260 and is a bit curious as there is no meaning to them and certainly not helpful

No Events found!