Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 10th, 2009 15:00

Xps 600 wont boot

My XPS 600, probably about 4 years old now wont boot at all. About a month i recieved an error while loading up windows that some file was gone in the windows/system directory so i reloaded XP. All seemed to be fine then 1 day I turned the computer on and the fans spin up the dvd drives flicker a little and thats it. The fans are quite loud, the monitor still is amber power light as is the computer power on (solid amber). The 4 code LED's do not display anything at all either.  Also quite strangely the Blue XPS light does not come either, the one that lights up the computer down where it says DELL.

I still have my 730HC2 but that is having boot problems as well that I will save for another day to discuss.

Hard Drive Failure or something more severe? Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks

3.6K Posts

February 12th, 2009 06:00

Hello,as this is a user to user forum someone will answer just be patient.We do this in our free time to help others,i do not have any experience with the XPS 600 but while scanning the boards today i thought i would encourage you to be patient..

2 Posts

February 12th, 2009 06:00

Um ... does anyone ever receive responses via this forum?? :emotion-8:

1 Message

February 14th, 2009 07:00

Strangely enough, I am having the exact same problem with my XPS 600 -- just this past week! I first ordered and replaced the power supply which didn't solve the problem. Then I ordered a replacement motherboard from Impact Computers. When I pressed the power button the first time after replacing the new motherboard, the computer managed to not produce the amber power button light and seemed to be trying to get through the POST and then shut itself down. Now it doesn't do anything at all except click when I press the power button. I'm hoping that the replacement motherboard is faulty.

Sadly, this has been a problem-free PC up until now. I have ordered a replacement (not a Dell this time), but will continue to try to resurrect this. I'm not optimistic however... I'm seeing that a lot of people are having similar issues with the XPS 600 within the last 6 months or so.

14.4K Posts

February 14th, 2009 08:00

sound like it could be the motherboard of even some componet.

Pull out all the ram sticks, pull out all the cards, unplug the power connections on all your drives. make sure you have nothing connected to the external connection of the motherboard.

At this point you have the powersupply, motherboard and cpu. Press the power button. Not the color condition of the button light, Note your diagnostic lights, listen for any beeps, note the condition of the fans.

What do you see?

67 Posts

May 29th, 2009 06:00

Well my XPS730 is now dead dor the last 2 months with a pump failure then mobo processor needing replacement. So i am back to trying to fix this 3 year old xps600.

I tried as Dave suggested above and it made no difference, so i guess it would be the motherboard then?

Trotski99 if youre still around the boards did you get yours working again?

3 Posts

September 7th, 2012 20:00

I have recently tried to powerup my XPS 600 desktop, and it would not turn on just flash the amber light on the button.  No blue light , no fan no motor no noise.  The monitor  goes on but thats it.  Have unplugged the pc and plugged it into another power strip where everything else is working so that wasnt it.  Could it be the powwer strip or is it the motherboard?

565 Posts

September 8th, 2012 01:00

Hi sunny65,

It looks like the issue can be related to the hardware of the computer.

We can perform couple of troubleshooting steps for this computer to isolate which hardware is causing the problem.

Remove hard drive, memory, PCI cards, and optical drive one by one then reseat the cable that comes from power supply to motherboard. Check the system LED if it changes.

The link mentioned below has the manual for your reference.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps600/en/SM/parts0.htm#wp1062633

If the system LED is same then the problem is related to the hardware of the computer.

I request you to private message the system service tag number. To private message, accept my friend request; click on my user name and click start conversation. 

I’d be glad to assist you further and let you know the next course of action.

No Events found!