Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 2nd, 2013 22:00

Xps 630 630i. Recovery CDs or reformat w/ OEM generic XP

Hi, this other forum thread explains my Xps 630 630i (I don't know which I have) dilemma

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1819891/recovery-cds-reformat-oem-generic.html

I might eventually install Win 7 on it OEM generic if that matters, but for now it's just OEM XP or the recovery Cds, but I think I'd rather just OEM and dload the drivers if it's the same performance if not better.

thanks

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

October 4th, 2013 16:00

I'm still confused.

My OEM (if it even is that) requires a product key. I was told it's just plain universal generic XP. I can install it basically on any machine and I don't think I have a limit on how many can connect to the internet and be verefied as genuine etc.

As I said in that other sort of long linked thread, I've installed Recovery discs to a Sony Vios desktop which made it a faster PC than just the generic OEM (if that's what I even have), so you're saying they should have been equal in performance and thus maybe the recovery CDs had drivers/utilities etc that made it perform better?

What do you mean by 'changed'? in 'if the motherboard board was changed, the OEM disk may not work and would ask for an activation key"

The XPS 630 and the XPS 630i are one and the same. The i was initially used to indicate Intel and an AMD equivalent was planned but never made.

If you are using a Dell-OEM XP Reinstallation CD it will not ask for a product key and will instead use system locked preinstallation activation providing the Windows XP setup is ran within the Dell BIOS.

If you are using a generic OEM Installation CD or one form another manufacturer, system locked preinstallation won't exist on the CD or be valid for the system so it will ask for a product key.

Regarding the Sony discs, they may not be true installation CDs but recovery media which have preinstalled drivers and preinstallaed software. In general recovery discs will be tied to the Sony system and the performance is usually worse than that of a clean install using a generic Dell OEM installation CD due to the large number of preinstalled junk by OEMs which ruins Microsoft Windows installations. In addition the presence of drivers may conflict with major Windows updates such as Service Packs in some cases again leading to severely reduced performance.

For Windows XP Dell provided XP Reinstallation CDs which were identical to generic OEM Reinstallation CDs with the addition of System Locked Preinstallation.

In order to get correct performance the Service Packs have to be installed then the system drivers should be installed in the correct order and Windows Updated fully.

It is not recommended to install Windows XP however as it reaches its End of Life in about half a year see Windows XP SP3 and Office 2003 Support Ends April 2014. Clean installation of Windows 7 64 bit or Windows 8.1 64 bit is recommended.

For more information about clean installing Windows XP or Windows 7 see Windows Reinstallation Guide/A Clean Install of Windows 7 (or Windows 8 or Windows XP):

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/

A Clean Install of Windows 7 instructs you how to install Windows 7 without a product key so you may evaluate it on your system for the trial period of 30 days. A Clean Install of Windows 8 instructs you on how to Clean Install Windows 8.1 consumer preview which you may use to evaluate Windows 8.1.

3.1K Posts

October 2nd, 2013 23:00

Hi ralf23446,

There would not be any difference in the performance between an OEM or retail version of OS. OEM disks does not asks for a product whereas for retail versions, a product key is required. If the motherboard board was changed, the OEM disk may not work and would ask for an activation key.

5 Posts

October 3rd, 2013 00:00

I'm still confused.

My OEM (if it even is that) requires a product key. I was told it's just plain universal generic XP. I can install it basically on any machine and I don't think I have a limit on how many can connect to the internet and be verefied as genuine etc.

As I said in that other sort of long linked thread, I've installed Recovery discs to a Sony Vios desktop which made it a faster PC than just the generic OEM (if that's what I even have), so you're saying they should have been equal in performance and thus maybe the recovery CDs had drivers/utilities etc that made it perform better?

What do you mean by 'changed'? in 'if the motherboard board was changed, the OEM disk may not work and would ask for an activation key"

5 Posts

October 3rd, 2013 09:00

"... so you're saying they should have been equal in performance and thus maybe the recovery CDs had drivers/utilities etc that made it perform better?"

I meant one that I should have been able to DLoad after an OEM install but didn't, not as if the CDs are superior and only place the get those drivers/utilities etc..

5 Posts

October 4th, 2013 22:00

many thanks for that full reply. And, I didn't realize XP will expire in April.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

October 4th, 2013 23:00

I suggest Windows 8, as it's significantly cheaper (among other advantages) and in two weeks there will be a free update to Windows 8.1.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

October 5th, 2013 07:00

I suggest Windows 8, as it's significantly cheaper (among other advantages) and in two weeks there will be a free update to Windows 8.1.

Yes Windows 8.1 is recommended as it will be the cheaper option and most of the snags present with Windows 8 are resolved in Windows 8.1. There may also be a promotion to buy Windows 8.1 directly in 2 weeks.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

October 5th, 2013 10:00

Your best deal on 8.1 will be an 8.0 upgrade, which can be had for $85 or so on Amazon.

5 Posts

October 5th, 2013 16:00

I think I'm going to get win 7 Pro 64 bit.

I like that 8 has i think a one click reformat with save/overwrite my personal files,

and the start menu nonsense is probably fixed by now,

but what doesn't sit right with me but others might prefer/ not mind it is that the whole computer's basically backed upon some server somewhere at microsoft. I can probably disable that, but it's still disturbing.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

October 5th, 2013 19:00

but what doesn't sit right with me but others might prefer/ not mind it is that the whole computer's basically backed upon some server somewhere at microsoft. I can probably disable that, but it's still disturbing.

No, you have to ask for that. It's not done for you automatically.

No Events found!