Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 15th, 2010 16:00

Xps 8100 TV Tuner Problems with DishNetwork!

When I was ordering this system I told our friends in the sales dept. that I wanted the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1250 tv tuner to use in conjunction with my DishNetwork sat. system. They said no problem: Just hook up the co-ax and go through the Windows Media Center setup and presto!! I beg to differ. I have tried several times now. I have gotten new co-ax, I have run the Media Center setup in every configuration I can find. Nothing. I hooked up an old set of rabbit ears and I got a few channels. Nothing from the sat. receiver, ever - .

Is there something I am missing? The only thing the TV card instructions say is to not hurt oneself while on the roof installing an antenna. I have tried off and on since I got the system two months ago. I am at my wits end. The techs at DishNetwork are less helpful than the Tuner card instructions.

If ANYONE has any ideas please share them with me.......

Has anyone gotten this kind of setup to work??

Thanks you very much.

Jeff    :emotion-9:

881 Posts

May 17th, 2010 13:00

Thanks again to one and all who tried to help me! I think I finally have the answer:Hauppague Tech Support informed me a few minutes ago that I need WinTv v.7 software to make this work. Not updated drivers but the Hauppague software that MUST be on an installation disc, not downloaded. ( I tried that) Dell did not send me one because it is not included in most OEM builds. Okay - that sounds fair. Except that Dell Sales Staff pretty much swore that the system would work with the satellite right out of the box.

After some time on Live Chat with Dell Tech Support the Tech decided that the card is bad and is sending a replacement and an onsite tech to change it out. The problem with that is that the original card is probably good and the new one won't have the software either. I have asked Dell Unresolved Issues what they are prepared to do but I am not holding my breath. So I get to spend more money to make the new system work. It isn't the money so much as it is the fact that sales said I would be fine. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

Jeff   :emotion-12:

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

May 15th, 2010 19:00

The Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1250 will work with NTSC Analog Cable, Over the Air TV, ATSC Digital Over the Air HDTV, and Clear QAM Digital Cable TV which, is pretty much like the digital tuner I have in my Magnavox DVD recorder. I don't have satellite TV, just cable TV. I know that with my the digital tuner in the Magnavox only the unencrypted channels are viewable which in my case is just the local TV channels.

How do you have your TV connected to Dish Network? Are you using one of their boxes?

881 Posts

May 15th, 2010 20:00

IEEE488 -  I have the card hooked to thier receiver by a co-ax cable. I have tried single mode and dual mode. Nothing. Spent 1 1/2 hours on Dell's Tech Supt. Chat. Nothing. The software is up to date, including drivers for the TV card and the video card. With rabbit ears I can get the local stuff so the card is working to some extent anyway.

I am at a loss.

Jeff

881 Posts

May 16th, 2010 09:00

An Update - I shut the system down for a few minutes to do something else. When I powered it back up it wouldn't boot or it booted then after my password all I had was a black screen with the cursor. It would do anything. Tried Dell Diagnostics - Everythibg passed. After several tries I got it to a restore point of a couple of weeks ago.

Still no joy.

Jeff

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

May 16th, 2010 11:00

I found this with the TW cable box and it could be the same for Dish. At least you can try it. How is the box connected to the tv? HDMI has anticopy DRM built in and if you use HDMI for the tv, the coax will not work. Detach the hdmi and use component connections to the tv instead. See if that corrects it. Or try disconnecting the tv completely and make a direct connection to your computer to test.

881 Posts

May 16th, 2010 12:00

At the moment I have this: coaxial coming from the dish to the reciever, coaxial from rec. to TV, coaxial from rec. to TV tuner card. As the card works with an over-the-air antenna I am wondering about compatability........ An almost new TV works just fine as well as a TV that is ten years old if it is a day. Frustration level: EXTREMELY HIGH!

Thanks all for the suggestions.... I would welcome more.

Jeff      :emotion-12:

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

May 16th, 2010 13:00

I am not familiar with Dish Network, but I do know that some providers will not allow you to split signals. You might not be able to connect 2 receivers--tv's or computers-- to one box. Could that be the problem?  I also have the 1250 tv tuner with a cable digital box.  Don't allow media center to set up the tv signal automatically. Choose a manual install and skip the guide. Remember to set the computer's tv tuner to Channel 3 or whatever the tv uses. See if it works then. I use the box's remote to change channels and it will only show the same channel as the tv.

881 Posts

May 16th, 2010 14:00

MARY G - This receiver is made specificaly for dual output. Two "out" connections on the back. With two TV's I can watch two different programs and record two more. I don't use a splitter of any kind. I have tried both the auto and manual config options in Media Center.(so have the Dell Chat tech support guys) This should not be a big deal but it is one of those things that make me nuts.

I am going to try the live chat with Dell again. They are trying very hard but just are not making any progress.

Thank You for your interest!

Jeff

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

May 16th, 2010 21:00

Jeff,

I went over my setup again again. Windows Media Center makes this setup difficult because it wants to control the set top box. I don't want that so I lied when I set it up. I said this--I don't agree to the guide download, I want to set it up tv signal anyway, I let it scan for tv signal and said no to download the guide (again) and said I do NOT have a set top box. Then I answer that I have an analog signal--I tried selecting digital and that did not work (my set top box is not really digital even though it's a digital HD box) Then I agreed to accept these settings. And it works. I still have to change the channels with the box remote and have the tuner in the computer on channel 3 as the box requires. You might want to control the dish box with the media center remote so you'll need to adjust your setup for that, but I tried it and found it inconvenient and unnecessary. This way I can use the computer as a dvr and use the Set Reminder feature on the box to change the channel for a recording. All recordings are manual and on Channel 3. I can record cable, HD and premium channels.

I hope this helps.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

May 16th, 2010 21:00

Jeff,

I went over my setup again. Windows Media Center makes this setup difficult because it wants to control the set top box. I don't want that so I lied when I set it up. I said this--I don't agree to the guide download, I want to set it up tv signal anyway, I let it scan for tv signal and said no to download the guide (again) and said I do NOT have a set top box. Then I answer that I have an analog signal--I tried selecting digital and that did not work (my set top box is not really digital even though it's a digital HD box) Then I agreed to accept these settings. And it works. I still have to change the channels with the box remote and have the tuner in the computer on channel 3 as the box requires. You might want to control the dish box with the media center remote so you'll need to adjust your setup for that, but I tried it and found it inconvenient and unnecessary. This way I can use the computer as a dvr and use the Set Reminder feature on the box to change the channel for a recording. All recordings are manual and on Channel 3. I can record cable, HD and premium channels.

I hope this helps.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 17th, 2010 04:00

Do you have a VCR or DVD player that has a coax (RF) output?  If you do connect that and see if it works and if it does that would seem to eliminate the Tuner.

No Events found!