Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

SA

June 1st, 2016 12:00

Xps 8700 Aux-Power Solid Amber Light

Hi,

I have changed my gpu to gtx780 and psu to cooler master b700 about 2 years ago. I haven't played any game for a long time. I tried to play arma 3, total war etc. yesterday but i have a black screen issue. After about 15-20 min (arma 3 doesn't even launch) black screen comes.( i can still hear the game).

I opened the case and saw an amber light which is under "aux-pwr". It doesn't blink, solid. What does it mean? Do i have to change the psu?

Thanks.

331 Posts

June 1st, 2016 16:00

Hi sc.avci,

Thank you for writing to the Dell Community Forum.

The steady amber indicates the system is in standby or system fault error condition, including the power supply. Power off the system and disconnect all the cables. Open the system cover, reseat the power cable to the system board and front panel cable are securely connected to the system board.

Kindly get back if there are any further queries.

5 Posts

June 1st, 2016 17:00

Thank you for your reply.

I have done what you said but unfortunetly it did not work.

I have searched about amber light but people usually get this from the psu cable. My light is in the case. Are we talking about the same think?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 1st, 2016 17:00

That LED on the motherboard is perfectly normal. It should be on whenever the PC is connected to a "live" outlet, even if the PC is not turned on.

If you power off, unplug and press/hold the power button for ~15 sec, the motherboard LED will go out. But it will come on again as soon as the PC is re-connected to the outlet (of course, that assumes the motherboard and PSU are working correctly).

So whatever else is going on with your PC, that LED is probably irrelevant to the problem.

Not sure I understand your issue, do you get a black screen only when trying to play a game or is it black all the time and you can't even see the Windows desktop? (BTW: what version of Windows?)

If it's only when you open a game, have you tried updating video drivers for both Intel Graphics and gtx780? And have you checked the game's website for any recent update(s)?

Also check that all fans including video card fan are working and no signs of overheating. Try reseating the card in its slot too.

You might also want to test another monitor and video cable on this PC?

5 Posts

June 1st, 2016 18:00

Thanks for your reply.

I have black screen only in games. I tought game might cause it but i have tried with several games and the result is same.

I don't have it when playing basic games, it happens when playing game which has more graphic requirements.

I have updated my drivers and used the game settings which recommended by nvidia geforce.

I made a stress test,  gpu degree was about 80c and I don't think it is too much. (but blackscreen again) Also fans work normally.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 1st, 2016 19:00

You still didn't mention the version of Windows.

At this point it's hard to know if it's hardware or software...

How do you get video working again? Warm reboot or cold boot?

Reboot and press F12. Go to Utilities partition and run all diagnostics, including RAM, extended HDD and fan tests.

Have you looked in Windows Event Viewer for events logged around the time the screen goes black (obviously looking after you get video back)?

It's possible the video card and/or RAM are overheating.  Have you tried reseating the video card and all RAM modules in their slots and using canned air to blow out all the dust?

How is monitor connected to video card, HDMI, DP..? Can you try a different video ports on video card and monitor?

Can you reinstall the old video card and see if that has the same problem? Or maybe you could remove the add-in card and connect the monitor to one of the on-board video ports. Note: the onboard video ports are disabled when there's an add-in video card, so you have to remove the card to use on-board video. 

5 Posts

June 8th, 2016 08:00

Somehow it has worked normally for 3-4 days and now i have the problem again. I downclocked my gpu but it didn't work. I guess gpu is the problem.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 8th, 2016 11:00

If you have the previous video card, swap it in and see if that helps...

No Events found!