jec1968
1 Nickel

Xps8300 start up issue

I have a xps8300 dating from jan 2012. Until recently it has been running with no issues, but in the last couple of weeks the screen has started to freeze and today it is refusing to restart. Instead it sits ther with power button flashing amber. If switched off and left for a while it will restart, but has then switched itself off again after a few minutes.

Does anybody have any ideas on what the issue is and how to resolve it? Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
7- Thorium

RE: Xps8300 start up issue

Sounding like a power supply problem. From the manual:

If the power light is blinking amber — The computer has detected an error during POST. There might be a problem with the system board or the power supply.

Try this first:

Power off, unplug, and disconnect power cord from rear of PC. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec. Reconnect the power cord to PC and see if it boots now...

BTW: When was last time you replaced the motherboard battery?

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
jec1968
1 Nickel

Thanks for the suggestion, RoHe. Separately, I have managed to get it rebooted - left it off for 30 mins and when i came back to it, all ok. Will remember your suggestion if this resurfaces though.

The motherboard battery has never been replaced. Is that another possibility?

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Definitely replace the motherboard battery since this one is pretty old. Even if it's not the problem, you will have ruled the battery out for only ~$2.00, if the problem ever recurs...

Be sure to copy down all current BIOS settings before removing the battery, just to be safe.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos