Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 5th, 2010 18:00

Zino HD eSATA ports not working (Wide Spread issue?)

I'm running into the same problem others are having with both eSATA ports not recognizing the drive in BIOS detection or Windows 7.

I'm using a Kingwin eSATA dock. The eSATA drive works fine on another system.

I tried changing the eSATA BIOS setting to ATA and then back to AHCI, but it didn't have any effect. Dell even did a motherboard swap and it still does not come up properly. Motherboard is running latest BIOS version.

It doesn't seem to be an isolated problem when the problem shows up in multiple systems. If eSATA is important, then you might want to stay away from the Zino. Please let us know if you come across a solution.

1 Message

September 26th, 2010 05:00

Be aware that the 2 eSATA ports of the Zino HD are NOT hot-swap capable and NOT port multiplier compatible. Basically they are normal SATA ports offered with an eSATA interface (this is easily confirmed if you look in the BIOS). 

This means only 2 single external SATA drives are supported, NO Addonics tower, NO Drobo support. and probably no support for lot more kinds of storage towers that require port multiplier and hot-swap. 

No hot-swap support means that the external drives need to be switched on at boot, and need to stay on all the time until power off (just like if they were internal). In fact, the 2 eSata ports of he Zino HD are "just" SATA ports, available externally.

Frankly, the fact that Zino has 2 eSata ports makes you jump to the wrong conclusions (that eSata is fully supported), and this is not true. This shortcoming of the Zino is not well documented, nor is the information easily available on the web, so I thought I'd share.

5 Posts

February 5th, 2011 12:00

eSata FIXED!!   My eSata ports now work!   Bios detects the drive and it works good in win7.   I have tested it in both ports.   I used windows system tray thing to "Safely Remove Hardware" and eject the drive.   I can move it between ports and windows detects it in either port!   No need to reboot, no need to have the external drive on before boot.  

The eSata drive I am using is Vantec nextstar cx NST-300su-bk.  

Turns out the root cause of the "not detected" was simply that the cable could not plug in all the way.   The plastic back cover is too thick!.   I simple removed the back cover, this allowed the eSata cable to pug in all the way and now it works just fine.   The eSata cable has no detent or other means of insuring that it is fully seated.   The not so funny thing is that this cable and external drive worked fine on all the other computers I have.  

It took many many calls to Dell, a new replacement system and a service call from the tech to replace a mother board.   After the tech replace the mother board on the second zino and it still had the same problem “eSata not detected” the tech thought maybe the root cause was simply that the back cover was too thick, and that was it.

7 Posts

May 5th, 2010 18:00

Dell Tech Support has run out of options, and they don't know if it is a motherboard/design issue or something else.

There are some people on avsforum with the same eSATA problems. Anyone has Zino HD with eSATA ports problems?

4 Posts

July 12th, 2010 08:00

I'm having the same problem.  Tried all updates/drivers.  Drive is a 2TB Seagate in a Vantec Nexstar3 enclosure.  I can only access the drive via USB from the Zino.  The drive works fine via eSata from other systems running the same OS.

This is frustrating.

5 Posts

January 13th, 2011 09:00

Be aware that the 2 eSATA ports of the Zino HD are NOT hot-swap capable and NOT port multiplier compatible. Basically they are normal SATA ports offered with an eSATA interface (this is easily confirmed if you look in the BIOS). 

This means only 2 single external SATA drives are supported, NO Addonics tower, NO Drobo support. and probably no support for lot more kinds of storage towers that require port multiplier and hot-swap. 

No hot-swap support means that the external drives need to be switched on at boot, and need to stay on all the time until power off (just like if they were internal). In fact, the 2 eSata ports of he Zino HD are "just" SATA ports, available externally.

Frankly, the fact that Zino has 2 eSata ports makes you jump to the wrong conclusions (that eSata is fully supported), and this is not true. This shortcoming of the Zino is not well documented, nor is the information easily available on the web, so I thought I'd share.

Do we have any resolution or solution to this?  What extanal solutions work with the eSATA zino?

thanks

2 Posts

January 20th, 2011 06:00

Same problem with my Inspiron Zino HD 400.

I use a Thermaltake BlackX external eSATA disk enclosure with WD hard drives which works OK on all other systems.

I make sure it is already powered on when the ZIno is powered on.

However, in the BIOS it never detects the external eSATA drives:

SATA-0 [Hard Disk]
SATA-1 [ATAPI CDROM]
eSATA-0 [Not Detected]
eSATA-1 [Not Detected]

Have also changed the SATA mode to ATA (followed by a save & reboot ) and then back to AHCI (followed by a save & reboot) with no success.

I have not heard of anyone yet who has successfully used an external eSATA hard drive with the Zino HD.

Suggest only way to get a resolution is to keep putting pressure via official support channels.

2 Posts

February 5th, 2011 20:00

Thanks for the info. This was exactly the problem. Fixed in 10 mins.

I just carefully removed by rear IO bezel as per the downloadedable service manual and my problem was solved.

My Thermaltake BlackX and WD5000AAKS Sata drive works fine:

It is now detected in the BIOS OK and can be seen and swapped like a USB drive once Windows 7 is up and running.

The issue was the thickness of the bezel at the e-SATA holes!!

So 3 options:

1) Leave the bezel off.

2) Get a very sharp modeling knife and carefully make the e-Sata holes bigger.

3) Put pressure on Dell to issue a new modified bezel as an official fix.

I will try initially go with 1) whilst pursuing 3) - Just for fun :-) !

When my warranty runs out I'll try 2).

(I do not want to go with 2) whilst I my hardware is in warranty.)

Thanks again for everyones contribution in this thread and Bswat's post that at least in my case has provided a successful outcome. (All be it at a detriment to Dell's official "support". )

412 Posts

February 6th, 2011 06:00

Hm, I've got a Zino HD 400 & use a SeaGate 1TB drive via eSATA & never had an issue so this thread was a little surprising.

Glad to know the resolution though if I should ever need it, though I hope not. :emotion-11:

14 Posts

March 14th, 2011 12:00

My eSata ports now work!  Bios detects the drive and it works good in win7.  I have tested it in both ports.  I used windows system tray thing to "Safely Remove Hardware" and eject the drive.  I can move it between ports and windows detects it in either port!  No need to reboot, no need to have the external drive on before boot. 

The eSata drive I am using is Vantec nextstar cx NST-300su-bk. 

Turns out the root cause of the "not detected" was simply that the cable could not plug in all the way.  The plastic back cover is too thick!.  I simple removed the back cover, this allowed the eSata cable to pug in all the way and now it works just fine.  The eSata cable has no detent or other means of insuring that it is fully seated.  The not so funny thing is that this cable and external drive worked fine on all the other computers I have. 

It took many many calls to Dell, a new replacement system and a service call from the tech to replace a mother board.  After the tech replace the mother board on the second zino and it still had the same problem “eSata not detected” the tech thought maybe the root cause was simply that the back cover was too thick, and that was it.

7 Posts

April 1st, 2012 11:00

Instead of removing the back cover/bezel, I striped back the connector "jacket" on the eSata cable to allow it to be able to reach deeper into the eSata port. This is why it works for others when their eSata cable was able to reach deeper in.

Hope my Zino will last. No more new models, Dell Zino discontinued.

1 Message

August 14th, 2017 08:00

Brilliant! It works. Who is imagine that.

No Events found!