Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 9th, 2009 11:00

Zino HD video fan failure

Just got my Zino HD, and when I start the machine, after it displays the dell logo, it shows "Video Fan Failure, F1 to continue, F2 to enter setup".

Anyone knows if this is a bios issue or an actual fan failure? The unit is pretty quiet and I havent opened it up yet.

270 Posts

December 9th, 2009 14:00

i would be worried its a fan failure.

1 Message

December 11th, 2009 19:00

I got the same error.  only two days of use too. 

Opened up the bottom of the zino when it was running and found the fan stuck., had to touch the fan to get it moving.   Hope this is not a recurring issue as it can be a big problem.

Dont' know what to do.  Probably will have to call Dell tech support and see what they are going to do about it.

January 12th, 2010 16:00

Same problem here. Right out of the box, plugged it in, turned it on, *BEEP* "Video Fan Failure". It took almost two months to get this thing in the first place, know it has trouble out of the box. Gosh Dell! Anyone know if it'll void my warranty if I open it up to fix it?

1 Message

February 23rd, 2010 08:00

I just got my Zino yesterday and got this exact message on my first boot (right after the post beep).  Dell tech support started to walk me through the process of re-seating the video card, fan and heat-sink but changed course...they are sending someone out to replace the "affected parts" this week since it's a brand new machine.  I am very thankful they are doing this because overheating issues are pretty scary. 

It took three months to finally get my Zino delivered...I guess another week of waiting won't kill me.  To anyone else getting this message, I would let Dell fix it.  No sense in risking a perfectly good graphics card due to an under-performing fan.

1 Message

June 14th, 2010 17:00

I had exactly the same problem but the error went away after a short while & hasn't come back yet. I called Dell & they're quick to send me a whole unit replacement. In the meantime I can still use the machine so they're letting me use that before the new one comes.

5 Posts

April 11th, 2011 07:00

+1 here.  Had mine running fine for a couple years.  Got the fan error this AM.  Opened the bottom, manually spun the fan, plugged back in.  All good.

2 Posts

August 4th, 2011 11:00

I had the computer since May 2010, rarely used since it is for the home theater. Now the computer gives me an error message "cpu fan failure, press F1 to continue, press F12 to enter setup" when I turned it on. I opened the bottom of the box, the fun is running well. I couldn't tell the difference between this fun and the other one from the same model of computer. After a while, the computer will go black screen but it won't power off itself. What's wrong here? Will replacing the CPU fan fix the problem?

August 6th, 2011 22:00

I have this exact issue with my machine.  Had the Zino since February of 2010 and the issue occurred right away.  Usually I would just restart and it was fine just by pressing F2.  

Sadly,  this is no longer working.  The machine is simply blacking out and shutting down.  I'd love help/

August 6th, 2011 22:00

Hi Chris,  I have had this fan failure issue for the entire time I have owned my Zino HD.  I love the machine, I want to keep it and I know you can help me.  Being a Dell user for many many years I know you will help me.  Without your help I'll have a hard time.

My machine finally simply would shut down after 20 minutes of being on.  Clearly heat is s factor.

No Events found!