Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 14th, 2010 16:00

black borders with ati graphic cards

I have a desktop xps 9000.  I reinstalled windows 7 and got a black border all around my desktops display.  After many hours of Dell trying to re install the ati drivers for my 5870 card I was still getiing a black border everytime I rebooted my machine even though I used tha Catalyst Control Center scaling to fix the issue.   I contacted AMD and they gave me the correct fix so far.  Ati driver updates are screwing it up.  Answer for me was...

1 install driver sweeper  (freeware)

2 uninstall all ati components from catalyst or  under programs and features in control panel

3. reboot in safe mode

4.  click on driver sweeper and select ati to remove remaining files.

5 my driver was 10.8 and so after 4 reinstalls by Dell they said to do 10.7 for my 5870 card.  So 10.7 it was.  got to amd.com and selct your OS and card and they give you the download options.  Choose with Catalyst Control Center!  If you don't want to contact AMD choose the latest previous version.  (One just before the newest)

6 At first reboot black borders were there, I went to the catalyst control center which should be downloaded by choice along with your driver.  (You must choose that download package)  Upper left corner of window has tiny arrow with "graphics"  dropdown list pick desktop and displays.  Then in the lower left corner click on arrow thats on the tiny monitor.  Move the slider bar to zero.  Now if you reboot and you have the right driver your display hopefully remains correct.  Mine has.  AMD has admiitted to the issue and many are having them.  Don't waste your time with Dell contact customer support at AMD!!!  They got back to me by email in a day.  :)

729 Posts

September 15th, 2010 03:00

Thanks for posting.  Hopefully this will help someone who is having the same issue.

September 15th, 2010 09:00

Update to previous post.  on the little display in the desktop and displays when you click on the arrow select configure then choose scaling options.  Sorry I missed this on previous post. :(

September 17th, 2010 03:00

Thanks for the info.

No Events found!