Highlighted
3 Argentum

RE: boot from flash drive on a dimension 3000

Jump to solution

Rohe, hi again, yes, have tried to date 7 different flash drives, and they all boot on other pcs, just not this one.

I will see if disconnecting the second optical dvd drive will have any effect, and to reiterate, I can and did boot off the cd, just cannot burn another cd as imgburn and dell say it cannot read or something , I forget which now. But I already had a burned cd and booted fine off that.

However, I still want to boot off a flash drive, just stubborn that way. πŸ™‚

will get back to you on whether disconnecting the optical drive had any effect on booting from a flash.

Note: would have replied sooner but had a heck of a time getting dell to let me sign into the forums.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

reply 2:

@speedstep, I will not try pianoing again! locked up the pc and gave a keyboard failure, had to do a hard shutdown, and I hate doing hard shutdowns, πŸ™‚

single harddrive was at cable select, and can still get setup files loaded but get the 7b when it gets to the screen saying windows is starting up.

@rohe, disconnecting the second optical drive did not have any effect, if you take a glance at the last entry on page one, you can see I spent considerable time trying different iso's and creating brand new iso's, that were nowhere near a sata controller, πŸ™‚ I am using the same exact procedure that I use to create my slipstreamed cd iso, to create my slipstreamed usb iso.

That last attempt was with a brand new flash drive.

I have also pulled the cmos battery to set bios to defaults, then reset the date and still no joy.

Hopefully , you might have some more suggestions??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

INSTALLING Full XP onto USB flash as a boot drive is not supported.

Hirens is WINPE not full XP.  XP is not and will not be supported as a USB boot and run everything option.

You have to make an actual hard drive your boot disk.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

hello, speedstep, I did not know that, so that statement is meant for the 3000 right, as I can boot usb flash drive on my laptops.

I will just have to look for a ide drive and enclosure.

I have spent the day using different programs to create a bootable iso, with no luck, so I will just give up, thanks again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

Hello, again, speedstep, I have been thinking over your answer and while it is partially the answer, I think that you are assuming that I want to run xp from the flash drive, like linux or hiren's. NO NO, I want to reinstall xp from the usb, does your answer still cover my issue??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

XP must be installed from onboard or USB DVD drive.

Installing from USB is not really an option.

While you could get it to work with a WIN98 Boot USB with Himem.sys and Smartdrv.exe and the entire I386 directory from a Real XP CD it would not OEM install and would require a COA Key.

While this can be done I'm not going to get into the 23 steps to get this done. Bottom Line the drive does not sound viable.

Aka you cannot fdisk and format it to command.com and get it booting.

F12 booting is NOT an option on the 3000 AFAIKT.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

View solution in original post

Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

SpeedStep: thanks , your last 2 replies have been marked as the answer. Appreciate all the effort. πŸ™‚

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 Indium

Jump to solution

FYI, regarding the reason for booting from USB in the first place, there are plenty of IDE DVD drives for sale on eBay, for much less than the $35 of retrofitting SATA.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

Thanks, it may be that I will have to check that out, πŸ™‚

0 Kudos