Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 29th, 2008 23:00

bsod and iastor.sys

I have a XPS Dimension 400/9150. The computer froze while I was using it, and upon re-booting, I kept getting the bsod with a reference to iastor.sys. Searching the dell support website for iastor.sys I found the article entitled "Stop Error in IASTOR.SYS". The article says to change the SATA operation from RAID Autodetect /AHCI to RAID Autodetect /ATA in the system setup. After doing this the computer reboots ok. The article then says to download and install the Intel Matrix Storage Driver. When I tried to install this, I got a message that my computer does not support the minimum hardware required and the install stops. The final step in the article is to change the SATA operation back to RAID Autodetect /AHCI.

Since the computer seems to be working now, is it ok to leave the SATA operation at RAID Autodetect/ATA?

Thanks

113 Posts

December 31st, 2008 12:00

A customer called me with the same problem today.  I see there are about 6000 posts on the exact same problem for the exact same models, so I know it's big.  I don't see much mention of the problem here, which is troubling.  Apparently it applies to most 9150s shipped between spring and fall of 2006.  Oddly, they have 3 machines exactly the same, and it happened to just one of the 3.  I don't like what I'm reading elsewhere because it won't boot, and they said you need to reinstall before you can do the fixes.

3.4K Posts

December 31st, 2008 13:00

Since the computer seems to be working now, is it ok to leave the SATA operation at RAID Autodetect/ATA?

Hello,

I don't know why you had this problem, but it is fine to leave your system set as SATA.

No Events found!