Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

July 14th, 2011 14:00

can I install a PCI card to upgrade ancient Dell 8200 to USB 2.0? so far, no luck

So, I have this ancient Dell 8200 as a backup system- haven't done much with
it in years but decided to tinker with it, to regain my tinkering skills and
update it a bit. I went to EBay and got some cheap RAM bringing it from 512
MB to a Gig. No problem.

Then I ordered on EBay a cheap USB 2.0 card but it just doesn't work. I
emailed the company I purchased it from and they sent me an identical one
which also doesn't work.

It's obvious that the most likely thing is that the USB cards are cheap junk
that just don't work.

What I am wondering is- should they work? I mean, should this old Dell be
able to successfully install a PCI card to upgrade it to USB 2.0? Or is it
just not possible?

My next option is to try with another firm on EBay or go to Best Buy which
has them - even there, they're cheap, something like $25 but heck, I got
lucky with the RAM on EBay so I thought I could get lucky with a $5 USB
card.

The main reason I want the USB 2.0 is so I can back up the hard drive with
my WD external hard drive using Acronis. The external drive will work with
the existing USB 1.0 on the MB but it's way too slow. After I successfully
back up the drive with the external drive, I want to install a new larger
drive, then using Acronis, see if I can move everything from the external to
the new drive- as a learning experience, in case I ever have to do this with
my much newer Dell 9200.
Joe

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 14th, 2011 14:00

hellogoodby

What is your operating system, do you have XP with SP1, or higher, because this has the driver for the PCI USB 2.0 card.

Open Device Manager to see if there are any yellow marks or unknown devices. 

Right Click on the unknown device or the USB Controller, select update driver and let Windows find it.

Bev.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 14th, 2011 18:00

Absolutely you can.  Try and get one with NEC chipset so that drivers for usb 2.0 will be built into windows.

I recommend this specific card. 

IOGEAR 5-Port USB 2.0 GIC251U PCI Card : Desktop Accessories | Dell

Overview

IOGEAR® offers the five port USB 2.0 PCI Card (GIC251U). USB 2.0 will move data at a blazing rate of 480 Mbps (Megabits per second), and is fully backward compatible with the first generation of USB devices. With the increase in speed, USB 2.0 will offer enhanced functionality, allowing more devices to share the increased bandwidth. The new USB 2.0 PCI card will allow you to take full advantage of the USB 2.0 technology on your current USB 1.1 systems. Don't get left in the dust with out-of-date technology, take advantage of the scalability that USB 2.0 products provide.

Manufacturer Part# : GIC251U
Dell Part# : A0454665

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

July 14th, 2011 22:00

I think my 2350 is as old as your 8200 and I have it working with a 2tb SATA drive and Pioneer Blu-ray drive.

Are you sure you have the correct drivers installed?

An alternative to USB is eSATA, and this modestly priced model has one eSATA port and one internal SATA port: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132007&cm_re=pci_sata_card-_-16-132-007-_-Product

79 Posts

July 15th, 2011 05:00

SpeedStep, I'm sure that would work or any other full priced commecial product- I'm just trying to do this on the cheap- if I don't succeed, I'll buy what you recommend or whatever BestBuy has, as I know they have a card.

Joe

79 Posts

It's running XP with SP3. The OS tried to install it but said it couldn't find a driver. Perhaps the item, a cheap item from EBay, is junk. But, I'll try what you said.

Joe

79 Posts

rdunnill, I have a specific reason to install a USB port, so that I can use my WD external hard drive that is normally hooked to my newer Dell 9200, in order to back up the older Dell. All this work on the older Dell is mostly so I can learn some skills- it's not critical, which is why I tried to make the  improvements with cheap products, such as the cheap RAM I got on EBay which worked- and if I can get a USB 2.0 working, I'll look for a cheap new hard drive on EBay.

Joe

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

The card from IOGEAR is $20.  They have it at Dell, Microcenter, and probably other places.

There are Others that would work just as well but they cost more.

If you get an NEC chipset then XP SP3 will "see" the card and install with NATIVE on the disk drivers

from microsoft.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

July 15th, 2011 18:00

From what you're describing, there's no problem with your USB card; it's just that you need to find the driver.

If you didn't get a driver disc, you might try looking for an ID number on the card and "googling" it. That might turn up the manufacturer's Web site, from which the drivers can be downloaded.

I'm not sure if XP can search online for drivers like Vista and 7 do. (They will install drivers automatically.)

No Events found!