Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 31st, 2009 19:00

can not launch PC Restore

This is a continuation to previous inquires. Is there any other way to launch PC Restore? CTRL F11 dosen't get it! The users guide says to start as soon as there is an activity light on thekeyboard. I've tried that. Others have mentioned going until the black window with a blue bar, folowing bios ? No blue bar on my black window. I have tried various timings from the keyboard activity light up to the windows splash screen. Please help

Hal

May 31st, 2009 20:00

I'm with you, friend.  I have a Dell Dimension 4550 running Windows XP Home SP3 that I purchased in 2002.  Like you, I have been trying to use this "Dell PC Restore by Symantec" utility as described on the Dell support site.  It sounds like we are having the exact same issues with using Ctrl-F11 to access it.  It says when you see the BIOS screen (which should be the very first screen)...the one with DELL and Intel symbols on it to immediately press and continue to hold down Ctrl, immediately followed by pressing F11, then releasing both keys at the same time.  I have tried all sorts of variations and timings for this, but either nothing happens (and it continues to boot) or I get a black screen with an error message that locks my keyboard and/or mouse (in which case I have to manually power off).  Very frustrating.

However, in my exhaustive Google search, I found a couple websites that claim to be able to fix this.  It appears that if Ctrl-F11 method works, then it should be very easy.  So if not, the method itself is broken, meaning you have to do some adjustments to allow Ctrl-F11 to access the utility that we need.  (One issue, though:  not all Dell models come with this or any feature that allows you to restore to factory settings.  Supposedly you can go to Disk Management utility via Administrative Tools-->Computer Management-->Storage-->Disk Management and view your hard disk drive to view if it has a recovery partition.)  As for fixing Ctrl-F11 access, use the following instructions (if you can understand them....I can't, which is my problem): 

http://www.webuser.co.uk/forums/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/292215/page/0/vc/1

http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/fixes.htm

Let me know if this works (b/c if it does, you can help me out.:emotion-2:

Scott

7 Posts

May 31st, 2009 21:00

Thanks Scott and Bev, I do have The Dimension 5100, and I have checked for the partition with disc manager. It is there. I will be trying thelink you have provided.

Hal

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 31st, 2009 21:00

I'm with you, friend.  I have a Dell Dimension 4550 running Windows XP Home SP3 that I purchased in 2002.  Like you, I have been trying to use this "Dell PC Restore by Symantec" utility as described on the Dell support site.  It sounds like we are having the exact same issues with using Ctrl-F11 to access it................."

Scott

sblackmonkey

Dell's PC Restore by Symantec feature was never installed on the Dimension 4550, the feature is installed on Inspiron and Dimension systems shipped on/after 7.16.04.

You will need to use the Dell XP reinstallation discs, that were shipped with computer package and carry out a manual clean reinstall of XP, reload all the drivers and applications.

Bev.

7 Posts

May 31st, 2009 23:00

I am very happy to report to this forum and to thank Scott. My Dimension 5100 has completed the PC Restore process and is operating great. I used the links supplied by Scott. The DSRFIX reported my disk errors and then fixed them. CTRL F11 now works. Thanks Forum, Thanks Scott.

Hal

June 7th, 2009 21:00

Bev (and/or anyone else who is kind enough to read),

Thanks for that info.  So I know now that I have to do a clean reinstall of Windows XP Home for my Dell Dimension 4550 (vs. using Dell Restore).  I do have all the original CD-ROM’s that came with my system, but it sounds as if that might not be good enough. 

In researching how to do a clean reinstall on my system, I am completely overwhelmed. I can't find a step-by-step procedure that is compatible with my system.  For example, there is a Windows knowledge base article about this topic, but it only gives instructions for users who have the OS on a WINDOWS XP CD.  For users, like myself, who have the Windows XP reinstallation software on an OEM CD, they simply direct the users to the OEM's (in my case, Dell's) support site. 

Dell’s site gives what seems to be clear instructions for a clean install of Windows XP at the following site:  http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?journalid=6BCCE330DC4670B2E040AE0AB5E15366&docid=339949

But there are some inconsistencies between what I found here versus other reputable sites (e.g. http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html). For example, one of these sites stated that it is not possible to update the system back to its current state (Windows XP Home SP3) using the Windows XP SP1 CD; they said that it would require at least Windows XP Home SP1a.  A download was provided to Microsoft’s site directly to download SP1a, but I’m concerned about the activation key…I know that a lot of times when trying to get certain updates or services from Microsoft, a Windows Genuine Authentication Active-X plug-in would appear to validate that I had a legitimate copy of XP.  [Plus, other sites speak of repartioning the hard drive and optimizing the BIOS settings prior to performing the re-install; these things are not mentioned on the Dell instructions. Thus, I don't know if I can't do b/c Dell requires the reinstall to be done a certain way or perhaps I can do it.  Very confused. :emotion-43:

I’m also unsure as to what  what would serve as the “boot disk” upon doing a reinstall.  It seems that some instructions are stating that I need, for example, a Windows 98/Me floppy to serve as the boot disk before changing over to the Windows XP installation CD.  Other sets of instructions seem to imply (if not say directly) that the Windows XP CD can be used to boot if the BIOS is set such that it looks at the CD-ROM drive before it looks at the hard drive.

Also, I got the computer in late 2002, so won’t there be an absurd amount of “critical updates” and other updates?   I was recently told that it is a good idea to do a reinstall every 12-15 months.  For me, it’s been 7 years, so I’m just not so sure about this.  (You might wonder why not buy a new desktop....I upgraded to a large amount of RAM, a new monitor, and a new video card in the past few months; plus, it's a good computer....it just has junk accumulation from years before I even knew what a virus was.) 

I apologize for not using the correct terms and for being long-winded, but I have never done a reinstall/install.  Definitely not a newbie, but nowhere near expert level either. 

I would greatly appreciate any help you can give me.  Thanks so much.

Scott

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 7th, 2009 22:00

Scott.

The Dell OEM XP reinstallation disc is bootable and is the same as the retail version, except it's tied Dell's BIOS.  When the Dell OEM disc is used, the product key [COA] should not be required and if it is, the COA is on a small label attached to the side of the case.

How to carry out a clean reinstall of XP.

Disconnect all the peripherals from the system except the keyboard, mouse and monitor.

This XP reinstallation GUIDE is excellent and includes an Interactive guide, or you can use Dell's XP Restallation Guide HERE.

While installing, remember to delete all existing partitions when you are prompted, then recreate the partitions and format the hard drive, following by installing XP.

After installing XP, you need to install the drivers and applications in the correct order, see HERE.

Followed by installing the Anti Virus utility, updating the definitions, then all the critical Microsoft updates.

Bev.

June 7th, 2009 23:00

:emotion-21: Thank you so much, Bev.  This is SO helpful. 

Here goes nothing (and everything)!

Scott :emotion-2:

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 8th, 2009 08:00

Scott.

Good luck and if you have any problems, post back.

Bev.

June 10th, 2009 22:00

Hi Bev.

I've been trying to make sure I know exactly what I'm doing before starting.  In your next-to-last post, in which you included a few hyperlinks, you spoke of an interactive guide, which I think would be excellent in my situation.  The problem is that when I click on the hyperlink (the first one), it says that the page cannot be found, and I tried multiple times over the past couple of days.  The website that appears in the address bar is the following:  http://www.djdenham.com/Install%20Procedures.htm#Install.  Do you think it's simply no longer online, or perhaps moved to a different location?

Thanks again.

Scott

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 11th, 2009 10:00

Scott.

Denny's site seems to be still down, I hope it's only temporarily.

HERE is the link to the interactive guide.

Note that while installing XP, delete all existing partitions (Paragraph 5) when you are prompted, then recreate and format them (Paragraphs 6 & 7), following by installing XP.  

Bev.

August 3rd, 2009 16:00

PLEASE HELP!  :emotion-9:

It’s been a couple months, but I sure hope Bev is still around (or anyone else who can help me).  I have been honestly trying to learn how and proceed with reinstalling XP on my desktop for weeks.  It’s driving me nuts. Kinda long email, but succint...please bear with me..... 

Just to remind:  I have a Dell Dimension 4550 running XP Home SP3.  It does NOT have Dell PC Restore (b/c it was purchased in 2002).  Although I have bought more RAM, a new monitor, and a new graphics card, it has never had a fresh install and desperately:emotion-18: needs one. 

I have been using primarily the link Bev gave me in the last reply (Paul Thurriott’s SuperSite) as well as Dell’s Support Site (Article ID 339949: Manually Reinstall Your Operating System). 

I know the basic fundamentals of what needs to be done; I just can't follow through with the logistics.  Just as one example, it states to begin with all peripherals disconnected (except monitor, mouse, keyboard), but it never states when to plug back in those peripherals (modem, router, printer, speakers).  But I can delete, create, and format partitions without problem.

These are the steps which are preventing me from ever having a functional computer again ("Steps" refer to those in SuperSite..."HERE" on Bev's prior message):

(1) Pressing F6 (Step 2) to “install any third-party or RAID drivers.”  I don’t know whether I need to do this or not.  I do have third-party drivers (eg I have a new Samsung monitor with the drivers for it on a CD-ROM), but when I attempt to do this, it doesn’t read the CD-ROM drive.

(2) For whatever reason, it NEVER asks me for my Product Key (Step 12), which I do have. 

(3)  Network setup (Step 15).  It states that “if you have a networking card or modem, Setup now installs the networking components.”  I definitely have these, but it skips this step during setup, and thus also skips (Step 16) “Choose Network Settings.”

(4) (Step 21) Network setup.  This involves setting up an internet connection.  It reads, “If you selected the default networking configuration during Setup and know it will work (b/c you’re connected directly to a cable modem, perhaps, or are on a LAN), then select Yes (default). Otherwise, select No and then Skip. We’ll assume your network is up and running and select Yes.”   I have tried this step many ways, with my modem being plugged in at various times, but am not able to establish any sort of network/internet connection. 

(5)  Post-installation tasks (Step 1).  The guide states to immediately run Windows Update.  A couple problems, though….no internet connection, plus in some other guides, it states that this is the step in which the Dell Drivers from the original shipment should be downloaded and in a very precise order.  On the Driver Install Order on the Dell site, there are 9 categories of drivers for desktops. 

(BTW, it took me 2 weeks to figure out that the Dimension 4550 simply does not have the first and “most important” category…the Desktop System Software.) 

Anyway, when I insert the Driver CD-ROM, the auto-run wizard identifies and places a checkmark beside only 3 of the 15+ drivers on the CD:  Chipset, Video Adaptor (which is not even the correct one since I have a new Samsung monitor), and Network Interface Card.  Since this is the case, I obviously can’t proceed with the other steps, like Windows Update. 

The other thought I had was to enter in my computer type and OS on the Dell Drivers & Download Site using my functioning laptop.  I thought I would be able to very easily pick which drivers I need from the list, burn on a CD, and use that along with or in place of using the original Driver Reinstall CD.  But there are 71 drivers available for the Dimension 4550, and at least for me, at this point, I have no idea which drivers to select.  I know how to get to Device Manager on my desktop to see what devices and drivers are installed, but it is SO different from what is given on the Dell Drivers site.  The categories aren’t the same; the versions seem to have no relationship to each other at all; and for the most part, it seems as if I’m the victim of a practical joke…although the camera crew would have popped up after 6 weeks of trying to figure this stuff out. 

For those people who are asking why I just don’t ask a friend who has done a fresh reinstall, let’s just say I’m from farm country in North Carolina and recently moved to California.  My friends aren’t exactly tech gurus.  For example, one of my friends went 2 years before finding out that he had voicemail capability on his cell phone. 

I realize this is quite a long email.  But I am desperate for help.  I honestly don’t have the money right now to hire a professional to come out and give me a hand, or else I would. 

SO PLEASE HELP ME IF AT ALL POSSIBLE.

Forever grateful,

SB

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 3rd, 2009 17:00

Scott.

See if the following helps:

1) Not needed, the 4550 does not support RAID.

2) If you are using the Dell OEM XP reinstallation disc, the Product Key is not requested.

3) Forget the Network driver until you have installed XP, then you install it with all the other drivers and applications, in the correct order like I posted, with the Chipset driver first.

After installing XP, you should install the drivers and applications in the following order,
Chipset
Video 
Network Interface Card [NIC/Ethernet]
Audio
Modem [if applicable]
Then all other drivers and applications.
Followed by installing the Anti Virus utility, updating the definitions, then all the critical Microsoft updates.

4) Not applicable, already answered in #4.

5)  Not applicable, already answered in #4.

The 'Video Adaptor' is not for the Monitor, it should be for the factory installed video/graphics card, but as you have a new video/graphics card, you need to install the driver that's on the CD, shipped with the card.

Bev.

No Events found!