Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 14th, 2010 15:00

can't boot or restore vostro 200

I have a dell vostro 200 that is just shy of 3 years old.  It runs Vista.  When i start it the boot process get to the point where the Microsoft bar is going back and forth (the night rider screen) but then the screen goes blank and there is no response to any changes.  I've tried booting in safe mode with no success (it hangs during one of the steps).  Next I've tried doing the repair option as described http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&docid=3E48AE3870775D64E040A68F5B2877D4&doclang=en&cs
I've tried every option and while i can get the command prompt the others don't work.  When I try the restore point it hangs trying to check the disk.  When I try the Dell Factory Image Restore it says it is formatting the hard drive but doesn't progress even after 45 min.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 14th, 2010 15:00

mike10065

Check the reading of the power button LED, is it Steady Blue, Blinking Blue, Steady Amber, Blinking Amber?

Are there any 'Beeps', or error messages, if there are, please post the exact text of the message?

The Vostro 200 Troubleshooter is HERE.

Bev.

3 Posts

September 14th, 2010 16:00

The power button LED is Steady Blue.  There are no Beeps or error messages.

I checked the troubleshooter but it says the following

If the power light is steady blue and the computer is not responding:

• Ensure that the display is connected and powered on.
  • If the display is connected and powered on, see Power Lights.

The link sends me back to the same place.  The display is working fine as I can see the recovery screens.

Any further steps?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 14th, 2010 16:00

mike10065 

Remove all the peripherals, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard and see if this makes a difference.

Also, try running Dell diagnostics extended test on the hard drive.

How to Run the Dell Diagnostics Utility

You may need to run Diagnostics from the Drivers and Utilities disc.

Bev.

3 Posts

September 15th, 2010 10:00

Bev,

Thanks for the reply.  I've been working with out peripherals outside of the monitor, mouse and keyboard.

The Dell diagnostics said all tests passed.

Any further steps that might help? 

Do you think replacing the HD is needed?  Would it solve the problem?

No Events found!