1 Copper

can't install ati video card driver

Dell Inspiron 530 / CPU E7200
Intel Core 2 Duo
3GB RAM
2.53 GHz
Integrated Graphics: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family
Windows 7 (32-Bit)

I'm trying to install ATI Sapphire HD2600PRO AGP. Everything's plugged in and connected. I've tried installing different ATI drivers, no success. There are issues with installing. And new hardware is not detected.

Is this a compatibility problem between Win7 and ATI drivers? I emailed ATI support, their response was

"You can try this link: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/CatalystAGPHotfix.aspx
But its not the official driver for win7, it will work in some cases, but if it doesnt you might need to get back to winXP."

Tried it, doesn't work. I'm screwed because I have win7 installed and the ati drivers aren't compatible or something.

I think the problem is I don't have the latest version of the AGP Motherboard/Chipset drivers. I've looked but I can't find the driver download.

Anyone out there who can give me some advice?

I didn't buy this directly from dell, it's refurbished so some parts might be different, I don't know. It has 2 PCI slots and 1 AGP slot. Why is there an AGP slot when it doesn't work? Sorry I'm a bit confused.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JMICHAEL
4 Beryllium

Re: can't install ati video card driver

An AGP card will not work on the Inspiron 530.  The 530 system uses the PCI Express X16 interface for video cards not AGP.  You will have to buy a new video card that is right for your system.  An HD 4550 would offer similar performance to the HD 2600 Pro, but I would not bother with this card when the HD 4650 is the same cost and would be superior in performance.  They cost around $50 on Newegg.com

• Dell Dimension 4600, P4 2.66 GHZ, 320GB SATA HD, Nvidia 6200, Vista Home Premium 32-bit
  • Dell Optiplex GX280, P4 3.2 GHZ, 80GB SATA HD, Windows XP 32-bit
  • Dell Inspiron 530, Q6600 Quad, 500GB HD, Vista Home Premium 32-bit
  • Custom Build, Q6600 Quad, (2) 500GB SATA HDs, 4GB Ram, EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 SC, Corsair 650TX PSU, DVD RW, DVD Blu-ray, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

0 Kudos