Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

August 9th, 2005 19:00

cant connect to the internet

i just reinstalled windows xp onto my dimensoin 4550 and everything is running smoothly other than my internet connection. i cant seem to get reconnected with my router upstairs. ive tried establishing another connection and went through the walkthroughs provided in the help section but it doesnt seem to work. i have a cable modem with 3 connected computers that all used to work fine. i am sure its hooked up correctly and all of the right lights are on. is there a driver disc that i need to install or am i being blocked by something else? thanks for the help

7 Posts

August 9th, 2005 19:00

i forgot to add that i formatted my hardrive during installation

13 Posts

August 9th, 2005 20:00

hi there,

depending on the model router you have you may need to use the driver disc that came with it. if that doesnt work, you may have to power down the router and the cable modem and cold boot all of them one at a time. i hope this helps.......

7 Posts

August 9th, 2005 22:00

how do i install the drivers for my ethernet card because im almost positive i havent done this. i have 4 blue discs that came with my computer and thats it. 2 say application and 2 say driver/utility. ive tried with all 4 but cant come up with anything.

658 Posts

August 9th, 2005 22:00

Possibly a silly question or comment, but make sure you install the drivers for your ethernet card (and hopefully the rest of the drivers for your PC in the correct order).  Otherwise it ain't ever gonna work no matter how hard you try.

That being said, if you did do that, what ar you pulling for an ip address?

658 Posts

August 9th, 2005 23:00

one will say drivers and utilities specifically for your pc (not for some sort of v.9x or v.92 dial up modem).

Throw that one in, it takes you thru some installation stuff, and eventually will bring you to a screen, wher eyou have 3 drop downs on the left like my system, operating system and computer.  On the right will be a list of drivers, some which have check marks beside them.  Essentially each item with a checkmark is something you need to install (checkmarks just show that the hardware was found in your pc).

You should start with: Desktop/notbook system software (under system config utilities) eventhoguh it may not have a checkmark.  If it's not there, don't worry not all systems have it.

Then install Chipset Drivers
video driver
network card driver
wireless network driver (if you have)
audio
input (keyboard/touchpad type devices if listed)
communcations driver (dial up modem).  If you have two drivers/utilities cd's this one probably has it's own disc.

The drivers well the first two, system software and chipset, must be installed first, or you risk running into problems later on.  The rest of the drivers, it doesn't matter what order you do it in.

To do the actual install you click on the thing listed under the heading of each device that's checkmarked aka for chipset drivers it may say intel something something chipset.  At the bottom left of hte next page will be an extract button.  Click on it, and follow thru the extraction and install process.  Should be pretty straight forward. At the end it'll wanna restart your computer.  Say yes, and then when the pc is back up, open and close the cd-rom tray to rerun the cd (or double click on the drive in my computer) and do the next item on the list.

658 Posts

August 10th, 2005 00:00

things should connect once you install the network drivers.  Worst case scenario, you may need to reset the router by unplugging it for 10 seconds, but unlikely.  Assuming other pc's are working fine, you won't need to reset the modem.   But  yeah, none the less let us know how things worked out.

1.2K Posts

August 10th, 2005 00:00

I have a cable modem and sometimes they need to be reset. If all else fails, unplug the modem from the wall, and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Then plug it back in and see if it works.

7 Posts

August 10th, 2005 20:00

alright thanks for the help i can now connect to the internet. now i have a new problem however. within 20 minutes ive been bomarded with ridiculous programs and popups and my computer has became low on virtual memory and is slower then ever. i just installed a firewall but things are still getting through.. something called winfix is constantly coming up for me ot install and i cant stand this stuff. i downloaded kazaa which i plan to get rid of immediately. is there anythign i can do to clear this stuff out?

7 Posts

August 10th, 2005 20:00

^^^ in continuation to my above post i just checked and i have 49 running system processes and i dont know which ones i need and how to get rid of the ones i dont need. i have no idea how i got so many in such a short time my computer is getting worse everytime it restarts itself.

658 Posts

August 13th, 2005 04:00

those sound like spyware and virus's.  Make sure you have programs to either remove or protect you from those.

You should find some, i'd recommend a couple of the following three.

spybot search and destroy ( www.download.com)
lavasoft ad-aware se ( www.downlolad.com)
microsoft antispyware beta ( www.microsoft.com)

For an antivirus i use one called grisoft avg antivirus.  Search it on google, it'll come up.  All those programs are free for personal use.  Possbly before or even after, i'd also recommened going to www.housecall.trendmicro.com and doign one of their online antivirus/spyware scans.
No Events found!