Highlighted
jfmy787
2 Iron

change Precision T3500 Vertical DVD Drive to horizontal position

Jump to solution

I have looked at the 2 pdfs on the web site for the t3500 and could not find anything on changing the 3.5 external bays from vertical to horizontal .  Is this the way they were made and not changeable ? 

0 Kudos
15 Replies

RE: change Precision T3600 Vertical DVD Drive to horizontal position

Jump to solution

Hi jfmy787,

I'm afraid it's not possible, The DVD drive is fitted in a cage which slides into the chassis housing and can't be rotated.

DELL-Alasdair R
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 10am-5pm GMT (BST)
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
jfmy787
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Ok How do i post a jpeg of several of the t3500s being offered for sale with the 3.5 bays vertical .  If not possible then maybe picture is not of item description.

0 Kudos
jfmy787
2 Iron

Jump to solution

I wanted to buy a couple of these but when i saw the vertical drive bays i stopped and looked again

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Apologies for my confusion but your thread title says T3600 and the body of your text says T3500 (I assumed T3600 since you said the drive was vertical)

The T3500 DVD tray sits horizontally, whilst the T3600 is vertical. It's not possible to change either. You can see pictures here:

T3500 - www.dell.com/.../dell-precision-workstation-t3500-system-guide

T3600 - www.dell.com/.../dell-precision-workstation-t3600-system-guide

I hope this helps.

DELL-Alasdair R
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 10am-5pm GMT (BST)

0 Kudos
jfmy787
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Yup you are right my oops.

Here is the link to one of several of them and they show vertical dvds,

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

I use blu ray burners that state they should not be used veritcally.

I will try to edit the title if i can.

0 Kudos

RE: change Precision T3500 Vertical DVD Drive to horizontal position

Jump to solution

Looks like they've been modified for rack mounting, I'll need to look into whether or not there is an easy way of converting them back.

Thanks

DELL-Alasdair R
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
jfmy787
2 Iron

Jump to solution

I went and ordered 1 and i will just lay in sideways on a small stand that i have.  That should work for this one.

thanks for you help in figuring this out.  I googled but could not find any info on this type case installed in a rack mount system.

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

There is no need to lay on its side,  Alasdair R the 3500 has 2 drive configurations.  Drives can be rotated to horizontal or Vertical with a different Front Panel.  This is called "Switching From Tower to Desktop Orientation" on the T3400 as well as the T3500.

Precision T3400 User's Guide

This is also the reason for the special plastic blade that holds the drives in via the shoulder screws.  Taking the metal faceplate off allows for the drives to be rotated and a  Dell GJ491 U8660 Precision T3400 T5400 T3500 Drive Bay Bezel

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Dell-U8660-Drive-Panel-for-Precision-380-390-490-T3400-T3500-T5400-T550...

to be added for TOWER vs Desktop Configuration CW857 Bezel. 

This is Not a modification its a Feature.  The Plastic Bezel is DIFFERENT for the 2 orientation but I believe its the same for T3400 and T3500 etc.  Metal panel and plastic panel and drive mounting for these is EXACTLY the same. There are 2 versions of the plastic panel one Desktop and One Tower.

• Dell Precision Workstation 390 490 690 T3400 T5400 T7500 Removable Front Bezel T8794 CW857
  • Manufacturer: Dell
  • Part Number: CW857
  • MPN: T8794

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-390-490-690-Removable/dp/B00LC9MY7U

While pressing the release tab down (1) slide the bezel toward the top of the computer (2).

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Jump to solution

Beat me to it 

DELL-Alasdair R
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos