8 Krypton

[closed] BIOS (Setup) don't recognize the DVD

When I starts my pc (Dimension 9150) the BIOS (Setup) don't recognize the DVD, it says unknown. But if I restarts the pc BIOS (Setup) recognize the DVD.
I have 2 devices on the IDE, the DVD and a extra harddrive. The DVD is the master, and the harddrive is the slave (dooh), both on the cable and the settings on the devices.
I have tryed three diffrent IDE-cables.
I have the lates Dell-bios.

If I don't restart the pc in the begining Windows most likely will freez, or the dvd will go in PIO-mode, force it to DMA will not help. Just a restart om the pc will help.

I would like to avoid the restart, I don't think the "cold" restart is so good for thew hardware.

Message Edited by mankan on 06-23-200610:02 AM

Message Edited by mankan on 06-25-200611:11 PM

Message Edited by mankan on 07-05-200611:56 AM

0 Kudos
9 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: BIOS (Setup) don't recognize the DVD

Are the jumpers on both drives set to CS for cable  select? Mixing an optical drive with a hard drive on the same cable is not the ideal settup. Have you tried without the hard drive? Lastly it just could be the DVD is starting to fail
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Yes, the jumpers are right ("both on the cable and the settings on the devices"), forgot the name of "jumpers" 🙂
I also have tryed without the harddrive, and also with another dvd.
I'm going to test to switch place with the devices and see if the problems solves, or whats happens, I havent done that yet.
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Mankan, try clearing the NVRAM using the procedure I have listed below.  By clearing the NVRAM the system will redetect all the installed hardware including the drives.  What may have happened is after you added the hard drive, the hardware information stored in the NVRAM might not have been updated properly with the added drive.
  • Reboot system and enter the BIOS Setup by pressing F2.
  • Turn on Caps Lock, Scroll Lock and Num Lock.
  • Press ALT + F (you should hear a beep).
  • Press ESC and Save the changes.
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Yes, that did the trick. Thank you very much Majestic! Smiley Very Happy
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

You're more than welcome.  Have a good weekend!
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Smiley Sad noooo, after the pc where turned off over the night, and started up in the morning after, again BIOS (Setup) did'nt recognize the DVD. After "clearing" the NVRAM, and the pc are turned off for a few minutes, hours it finds the DVD, but more then a few hours is to much...

it seams like my dimension dosen't remember so good.
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Mankan, try reseating the motherboard battery to insure it is making good contact in it's socket.   If the problem continues then consider running the Dell Diagnostics on the drive.
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Message Edited by mankan on 06-21-2007 10:47 PM
0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Krypton

The battery is on it's place. I can't run Dell Diagnostics, because I don't have no Dell Diagnostics partition.

Thanks anyway!! 🙂

Message Edited by mankan on 06-21-2007 10:45 PM
0 Kudos