Lunzren
1 Copper

computer won't boot after cpu upgrade [dell inspiron 3650]

Jump to solution

Hi im trying to upgrade my pc with a intel core i5-7500 LGA 1151 7th gen core cpu. Once i install it my pc wont boot. Once i go back to the old cpu my pc came with (3.3 GHz Pentium G4400) and it doesn't work. All it does it show a orange light and cuts right off after. If anyone knows how to fix this any help would be appreciated.

PC:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019TTJDUK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

CPU:www.amazon.com/.../ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
8 Xenon

RE: computer won't boot after cpu upgrade [dell inspiron 3650]

Jump to solution

This system supports sixth-generation Skylake CPUs only - it will not run a 7th-generation Kaby Lake CPU.

Return the CPU for an i5-6500.

If the original CPU doesn't work after reinstallation, unplug the system, hold the power button for 30 sec. and then reconnect the power and try again.  It should start up -- if it doesn't, and there's no sign of life at all, you may have fried the mainboard by installing the incompatible Kaby Lake CPU.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
8 Xenon

RE: computer won't boot after cpu upgrade [dell inspiron 3650]

Jump to solution

This system supports sixth-generation Skylake CPUs only - it will not run a 7th-generation Kaby Lake CPU.

Return the CPU for an i5-6500.

If the original CPU doesn't work after reinstallation, unplug the system, hold the power button for 30 sec. and then reconnect the power and try again.  It should start up -- if it doesn't, and there's no sign of life at all, you may have fried the mainboard by installing the incompatible Kaby Lake CPU.

0 Kudos