Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

July 9th, 2011 13:00

computer won't start up

Mine is a XPS Gen 4. I went away on vacation for 10 days and shut my computer down, came home and now it won't start up. Turn it on, light says solid green and fan runs like crazy. Lights on back suggest video card, a & c are amber, b & d are green. So, from what I'm reading here going to remove and then put back in the video card. Right??

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 9th, 2011 14:00

Sounds like there was a power surge while you were gone. That's why you should unplug the computer when you go away. Remove any surge protector and plug directly into a good outlet and remove all the removable cards except the video and reboot. Keep rebooting and adding cards one at a time rebooting after each one to find the failed card. If it doesn't start with just the video card, remove it and reboot to see if it sounds like it is booting. If it does, replace the video card. Many times the phone modem or network card are fried when there is a surge or lightning strike because of the cables connected to them. Those will prevent booting.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 9th, 2011 15:00

Mine is a XPS Gen 4. I went away on vacation for 10 days and shut my computer down, came home and now it won't start up. Turn it on, light says solid green and fan runs like crazy. Lights on back suggest video card, a & c are amber, b & d are green. So, from what I'm reading here going to remove and then put back in the video card. Right??

daisyann

Also, answered in your other post HERE

Bev.

3 Posts

July 9th, 2011 15:00

My other computer started up okay and it's on the same surge protector.

12 Posts

July 10th, 2011 08:00

Surge protectors adjacent to electronics do not claim protection (read its numeric specs).  Have a history of compromising superior protection already inside computers.  Effective protectors are located within feet of earth ground.  And increase protection by being separated from electronics.

Once a surge is permitted anywhere inside the house, then it goes hunting for earth via appliances - powered on or off.  A surge selects which appliance(s) it will destroy to obtain earth. Every appliance suffers an incoming surge.  But only the one or few selected to be damaged also have same current outgoing on some other conductor.  Anything that would block a surge, well, where does it claim any protection in its specs?  It doesn't.

Fan is spinning like crazy if the CPU has not executed; did not throttle back that fan.  CPU cannot execute until permitted by a power controller.  Is the power controller locking the CPU?  Or has the CPU failed?  Cannot say from information provided.  However, I would expect that failure to be reported as a "BIOS did not execute" failure or as a blinking yellow light on the power switch.

No Events found!