Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

August 11th, 2009 10:00

confused about audio included in the DVI output of Radeon 4670 HD XT

I just got an XPS 435 with ATI Radeon 4670 HD XT. And I want to connect it to my HDTV.

The card has two DVI outputs and one S-video and the computer came with VGA and HDMI converter.

ATI's website lists the card as having HDMI output and some reviews (eg http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2008/09/11/amd-ati-radeon-hd-4670-512mb/3 ) mention that the card should send audio together with video signal. is this true?

So far I got the video working using the DVI to VGA adapter and I got it to (1366x768) but no audio yet; and I wanted to know if an HDMI cable would be enough or if I need to use 3.5mm to 3.5mm or (composite audio cables to 3.5 adapter)

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 13th, 2009 09:00

I did some google searches but didn't come up with much about the audio portion.  Also, there are several brands of this card and there are different versions - some with a direct HDMI connector and some that have the adapter like you apparently have.  Spend a little time with searching and you may come up with this cards actual capabilities. 

On some cards that Dell has been supplying with new PC's that have an HDMI output, it requires an internal S/PDIF connection to have audio through the video card.  This may be the case with this card. 

I have a Radeon HD4850 video card and it has a built in audio "card" for audio when the HDMI connection is used and doesn't require a separate connection.  This is a better setup and something to consider if you want to use an HDMI interface to a TV.

No Events found!