Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 19th, 2010 14:00

constant buzzing in headphones, dell xps 9000

hey guys, i just received my dell xps 9000, and dont have speakers, so i am using my headphones. And there is a constant buzzing in the headphones, and its almost as if you can hear the computer working, in the tone of the buzz, if you move the mouse, the tone pitch gets higher, if the computer is thinking, the tone pitch gets higher, Ive been reading that it may be due to the headphone jack being too close to the motherboard cords or something, and its picking up EMF intereference and to remove that cord from the cord holder, or something? 

any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks guys :emotion-1:

4 Posts

August 14th, 2012 12:00

I have the same exact problem with the same exact computer (XPS495/9000). If this can be solved that would be very helpful!

2 Posts

August 14th, 2012 14:00

I didnt get a reply/help. I just plug headphones into back now (green plug I believe)

4 Posts

August 14th, 2012 15:00

I have speakers plugged in there :/ I use headphones because I don't want to wake anyone up at night.

113 Posts

August 16th, 2012 10:00

Hi,

Before we proceed with the troubleshooting steps would request you to provide me with the following information so that I can assist you in the best possible manner:

1. Does the issue persist only when you connect headphone and not speakers?
2. Does the headphone have microphone?
3. Are you getting same constant buzzing sound after plugging the headphones at the back of the tower?

I would suggest you to follow the below mentioned steps which might fix the issue:

Step 1: I would recommend you to mute the microphone and check the result. To do this, try these steps.
a. Click volume icon on the taskbar.
b. Click “Mixer”.
c. In the listed items, see if Microphone is listed.
d. Mute the Microphone or move the Microphone volume slider to level 0.

Step 2: If the issue persists, download and run the “Microsoft Fix It” to fix the issue.
a. Visit the following website, click “Run now” button to diagnose and fix sound playback issues windows.microsoft.com/.../no-sound-in-windows
b. Restart the computer and check the result.

The last step I recommend to update the Audio driver of your computer by going to this URL:
<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Do reply with the results.

Thanks & Regards
Debbie B
#iworkfordell

445 Posts

August 16th, 2012 13:00

I have the 435T/9000 and had the same problem with the static on the earphones. I assume you are using the top/front earphone jack. I ened up installing a grounding shield around the wire leading to the jacks and grounding one end to the computer case. In the phone business it was called "snake skin shielding", but don't know what the real name is or if you can still  get it. I had a piece from 20 years ago. The simplest way is just use the rear jacks because they don't seem to have the noise problem.

4 Posts

August 23rd, 2012 15:00

I use DX12 Turtle Beach headset and regular headphones and I get this problem with both. The TB Headset has a microphone but it uses the Pink microphone jack, and I get this problem with and without that plugged in.

I have speakers plugged into the back of the computer. (I have long since forgotten what type the bar is, its just a silver speaker attached to the bottom of the monitor. It does not have this problem).

The headset/phones do not have the problem when plugged into the back. (To note: When the headset is not plugged in all the way into the back it has the same problem sound).

Also to note, I can not use the link as I get a "Bad Request". May have to do with the fact that I run Google Chrome.

This is not a major problem as I can just plug in the headset into the surround-sound headphone jack.

The only problem I have that is actually a nuisance is the fact that when I plug in the microphone plug into the jack from the TB headset it amplifies the sound, but again, its easily ignored.

3.3K Posts

August 24th, 2012 04:00

Hi Barzerath,

This issue can be resolved by reseating the top I/O panel cables.

Buzzing noise is heard when the wires of the top I/O panel is not aligned in proper manner or scrambled. If you are comfortable, open the tower and reseat the top I/O panel cables.

I have provided a link below which helps in reseating the top I/O panel cables:

support.dell.com/.../topcover.htm

Note: Before opening the tower power off the computer, disconnect all telephone or network cables from the computer, disconnect the computer and all attached devices from their electrical outlets, press and hold the power button while the computer is unplugged.

If the issue is not fixed by reseating the top I/O panel cables, we might need to replace the top I/O panel.

If you have an active warranty, you can contact me directly by clicking on my user name, add me as your friend, and send the system service tag and phone # with address.

4 Posts

August 31st, 2012 14:00

Thank you!!

I will do this! Thanks again and have a nice day!

No Events found!