Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

July 30th, 2011 18:00

dell - different return policies for different customers?

I am so extremely annoyed. I bought a new Dell XPS desktop, and I was told I could return it within 21 days. Now, after the package arrived, I did not even open it. I tried returning it and they said "Nope, you got to keep it or pay the restocking fees". I then opened it, and then I told them I am interested in another computer, but they did not bother.  Now I keep reading online how they waive restocking fees if you order another system from them - it's almost like a rule. What I want to know is why I was not given that privilege? The problem is I am well past 21 days deadline now, so obviously they will refuse to honor it now.  Why do they have different policies for different customers? My family has recently bought so many computers from Dell (even recently)... why would they do something like that to us?!

2.2K Posts

August 2nd, 2011 21:00

I want to know what the other people did differently?

You have stated that you "keep reading online how they waive restocking fees if you order another system from them - it's almost like a rule."

Perhaps you should ask the people that have gotten out of it how they did it.

I have two guesses....

A) From reading these forums, it appears Dell has been much less lenient regarding restock fees the past year or so. Perhaps some of what you have read was prior to that, when they seemed to become more restrictive.

B) Also, it does not seem like a good idea to make a second purchase BEFORE getting confirmation that the purchase will get the restock fee waived. Once the second purchase was made, there was no reason for Dell to be flexible regarding the restock fee....

If it makes you feel any better, consider that Dell did in fact have to process the order out and in, and will have to sell it for a loss. They will probably lose far more in labor and actual cost than the 15% you are paying.

it's just not fair.

Welcome to life.... Enjoy it.

872 Posts

August 2nd, 2011 22:00

16 Posts

August 3rd, 2011 00:00

@muto

as I have said earlier, I have read that return section several times.  What I am trying to say is my circumstance is no different than the other people.  See, I am not trying to waste anybody's time over this.. .it is just that, I want to make sure I go full prepared before I talk to customer service rep or michael dell or bbb.org.  I just thought that you guys might be able to give some pointers with so many years of experience of yours.  (and I have received help in the thread so far, so it's not like I am saying you guys haven't helped.. but you guys do raise counter-opinions, and I just want to explain my side of the story... this way I am all better prepared when I talk to customer service rep, see what I mean?  I mean last time I talked to a customer service rep was when I was within 21 days deadline and I got yelled at... so I want to make sure I can stand firm and not take the yelling next time I talk to them.

2.2K Posts

I am unsure what the BBB or any other organization can do. Dell has you agree that you accept their policies before you purchase, and those policies include a restock fee.

Do keep us informed about how any complaint goes. It could help future users with the same question.

As far as the computer not meeting the specs, does the system configuration you ordered show as different than what you received? Do you have so in writing? If so, you have a very valid cause for return without a restock fee.

@muto: Nice to see we actually seem on the same side here.

16 Posts

@hrova...

A) I checked posting time of those messages before deciding to complain on this forum... (Basically, for issues like these, I use google's handy date filter...narrowing down the results to include entries from only past year. Even past couple of months.)

B) I did not make a second purchase.  I just told them of my intention, hoping they would say "Oh yes, if you are not happy with this model and are interested in another model, just give us the new order number..."  Because that is what they did to so many other people.

C) Another important point I forgot to mention is I ordered this system on phone, and the RAM configuration came different than what she told me on phone.  (Same gig, but different configuration.) So, it is not like they did not make any error at all.  (I did point this out when I told them why I want to return it.)

Heck, even my dad was able to return a new system WITHOUT any restocking fees and he did not even buy a new computer to replace it or something in July 2011!  

872 Posts

August 3rd, 2011 03:00

16 Posts

August 3rd, 2011 03:00

All it said was 12GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMs.  What I did confirm on phone over and over... are they identical? She said "yes".  Now obviously, I did not get that... and that is one thing I was very clear about - i wanted identical dimms!  Is there no way I can hear the recorded phone conversation? I know it'll be such a pain for them to find out the exact minute and second, but I am willing to go through the pain and point them towards the exact time.

16 Posts

August 3rd, 2011 04:00

here's a quote from a Dell agent "your re stocking fee will be waived as long as your will order a replacement for it" ... That is in writing... I have it saved, and I am sure they do too.  However, if there is a way I can hear that other recording I keep bringing it up, then it would be so much simpler you know.. that I just point out the part where she gave false information.

16 Posts

August 3rd, 2011 04:00

@muto, how was I supposed to know that nobody makes 3gb? I do now, of course. But, back then I thought Dell must have some special RAM manufactured for them.  You know if they have a way of letting me hear the recording, I can even pinpoint where she said something like "..GB each".  Dell can not give false information like that and then yell at me when I ask for return.  

I will get in touch with Dell asap.  Currently, I am on night-shift... (I can type all I want... it's the calling that is the problem.  I don't think customer service offers live chat, but if you find a way to let me do that, then that would be great! ... I don't want to email, because people on the forums seem very annoyed by my typing... I don't want to cause further damage by trying to resolve it through email.  (Chatting will be different, because if there is a confusion, I can clear it up live.)

No Events found!