Highlighted
awannabeee
1 Nickel

dell dimension E510

hello all;

i recently tried to update my chipset on the dell website, as a result my usb ports have stopped working.

as a result i have no keyboard or mouse. if i go into bios i have a keyboard but that is it.

i have tried turning off the computer and holding the power button for ten seconds.

unplugging all the usb devices and rebooting and plugging them back in after boot.

i have tried booting in safe mode.

restoring default settings in bios.

i guess i am heading for a full restore.

if you can help i will appreciate it.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: dell dimension E510

What "chipset" did you try to update (or did it update)?  Was it the BIOS?  The Intel motherboard chipset?

More info is needed to try and help you.  

However, try resetting the BIOS by powering off the PC, open the case and remove the CR2032 CMOS (BIOS) backup battery for at least 10 minutes.  Reinstall the battery and power on and see if that fixes it, at least for the BIOS.  There are two separate functions - the basic functions that are controlled by the BIOS when you first boot and then the Windows system drivers and control after Windows boots. 

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
awannabeee
1 Nickel

well i am not sure. if it were an ASUS or HP. there would have been more info. As it is, i typed the computer type a dimension E510. in the driver download section and the only thing it said was chipset. i would guess it is the mobo N and S bridge. but i cant be sure because it gives version only. 7.2.2 1006, A13.

i have keyboard in bios, i think the problem is in the system, but i am not 100% sure.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

That is the Intel chipset driver.  That should not affect what happens with the keyboard and mouse at power on.  I've installed that in my E510 and it didn't destroy anything.   Did you try the BIOS reset as I suggested? if not give that a try. 

Here is the list of addtions and fixes, it does affect the USB but would seem to not affect it at power on. 

Features Added

1. Added support for Intel 975X Express Chipset.
2. Updated README file to include support for targeted chipsets and OS Service Pack requirements.
3. Added CSVer.dll which contains version information (Major.Minor.Hotfix.Build)

Fixes

1. It fixes issue with USB keyboard/mouse hang until reboot while installing.
2. It fixes yellow bang in USB controller in Device Manager on a system with USB keyboard/mouse while installing.
3. It fixes a bug where a 3rd party SMBus driver was being overwritten.
4. It fixes Installshield issue with silent mode.
5. It fixes issue in PCIUtility.sys during install on 64-bit OS.
6. It fixes untranslated language strings.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos