Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 10th, 2014 04:00

dell e521 drivers and downloads

HI,I re-installed WINXP in one of the HDD'S in my DELL E521 and it appears that none of the drivers are installed where can i get all the drivers that will let me get on the Internet,sound,and video.

I have a 8GB thumb driver that i believe will be big enough for the drivers and if i understand how to do it i can download them to the thumb drive then install them on the WINXP HDD is this right.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 10th, 2014 08:00

VIDEONTTT6

You can download the Dimension e521 drivers from here:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/dimension-e521/drivers

Yes, you can install the drivers from a USB thumb drive. First you need to download the drivers to a computer and then transfer them to the thumb drive.

The drivers need to be install in the correct order, as noted here:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&docid=268873&l=en&s=gen&DoNotRedirect=y&dgc=IR&cid=254348&lid=4672891

Bev.

100 Posts

December 17th, 2014 21:00

HI,I went driver site and after figuring out what may be the right drivers i put them on a flash drive,but flash driver

will not work because USB is not connected if this makes sense and while i was rooting around in disk drawer i

found what appears to be a disk that says drivers and utilities but that will not even work you would think the driver disk would be a straight up fix no such luck what am i doing wrong any ideas would be appreciated,thanks

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

December 18th, 2014 06:00

Windows XP has reached End of Life as of April 2014 and it is not recommended to reinstall such an old version of Windows.

You should follow the driver installation order which will bring your Windows XP installation to April 2014 using the WSUS Offline Update, this is its last official update and then install the drivers in the correct order.

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/downloading-drivers-checking-hardware-ids-and-downloading-and-installing-dell-system-drivers-in-the-correct-order/driver-installation/

That system should handle Windows 10 Technical Preview providing its got at least 2 GB of RAM and I would advise installing it opposed to Windows XP. When Windows 10 is released there should be initial promotional pricing so it'll be one of the best chances to get a modern Windows license. You can keep using the preview builds until that time.

100 Posts

December 18th, 2014 18:00

HI,The only reason i am trying to get WINXP to work is i have a lot of stuff on HDD that i would like to retrieve other then that i would not waste my time,the major problem i am having is i can not get past all of yellow marks in device manager especially the USB one and the disk i disk i have will not work as it comes up with a 1722 code when it stops. Now is WINDOWS 10 a new OS as i have not gone into a search just yet  to see what i will get besides i am pursuing this problem to get knowledge on how to install drivers & OS'S.

100 Posts

December 18th, 2014 20:00

Well i looked at the WINDOWS 10 info. and i would not touch that with a 10 foot pole because one the things it empathized was if you were not a computer expert do not even try the program as it can destroy your PC and since i am a hard time just getting drivers installed i do not need another lesson.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

December 19th, 2014 07:00

Its pre-release software for testing however it is very easy to use. Installation is actually much easier than Windows XP, and a lot of improvements have been made in the last 4 versions of Windows (Vista, 7, 8.1 and 10) in the fact that most system drivers are inbuilt into the Windows OS.

As mentioned earlier Windows XP is at end of life so even if you are experienced with it, you need to be very careful if you continue to use it. Windows 8.1 and 10 have much better inbuilt security. As you state you are not a computer expert then consider continued running Windows XP as a "risk" especially if you have it online. See here for more details:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/end-support-help

We can help with reinstallation of Windows XP and its drivers if your provide the hardware IDs but I would not recommend connecting an XP system to the internet. As mentioned I would recommend the Windows 10 TP over XP Reinstallation.

100 Posts

December 19th, 2014 14:00

HI,NATAKUC4,I am not sure what you mean by hardware ID'S please explain,would a SPEECY picture help give you what you need for drivers. If i download WINDOWS TP would i get lucky and get the drivers i need to get access or is that asking too much,also i have WINXP re-installed,but if with your help can i get drivers that as i may have over looked something with the re-install because like i said i am after the data thats on HDD.
 I  WIN7 INSTALLED ON MY SEAGATE 1TB HDD right now and is working.
 On the 1TB HDD i have a 160GB partition at the end of disk can i format that partition and install the WIN10 TP  in that partition,thanks.

No Events found!