Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 23rd, 2013 18:00

dell i570 with phenom 965be

ok so i orderd this cpu and i got it in my pc and my heatsink that came with it wont work as it uses clips and my mobo uses screws.is there anyway i can use the athlon x2 240 heatsink in the mean time cause im broke buying this a power supply and a graphics card.if not ill need to buy a new mobo which will probably be more cause ill need a fresh windows install i belive?

893 Posts

January 23rd, 2013 21:00

Existing CPU cooler is not sufficient enough to cool 965, same goes for 965 AMD cooler, would you be able to shed 31 USD plus tax plus shipping for Ice Edge 400 XT $30.80

This one guarantee to work. You would have to remove motherboard backplate, this job is free, he he. As long as you not getting any video cards, existing power supply is enough.

10 Posts

January 23rd, 2013 22:00

to  kisianik ok so i can do that but can you perhaps make a vid on how to remove backplate and instal or intructions ive took the mobo out and theres a x shaped platic thing behind the cpu i think thats the backplate and also im using a antec 450watt psu i think will be fine as far as that goes also already got a graphics card trying to extend the life for this pc cause i play wow quite a bit.

893 Posts

Instructions will follow, you still have to buy new cooler.

10 Posts

ok i found how to do the backplate was in a old post of urs =p ok so now my bios is a03 before i order this can i temporarly use the athlon 2 240 heat sink for this for like 10 minutes to see if it will work? because if it wont work since my bios are pretty old.ill end up ordering a new mobo if it dont work which will take me forever again to work in with the bills

893 Posts

January 23rd, 2013 23:00

You can easy upgrade bios to A06, the latest. With new MOBO you also will have to get another Win7. If you can afford wasting money (this MOBO will be will be old to accommodate old CPU).

893 Posts

January 24th, 2013 08:00

Your next decision depends solely on your budget and needs, I am able to play Battlefield 3 now rank 25 or 26 (I am casual gamer), played Far Cry all, Crysis all - so this is capable motherboard and overall system for people on budget, just another thought. Just a little favor to me and Phenom II x4 965 BE Inspiron 570 owners, can you please check if you can mount IceEdge on existing backplate, there is slight chance that this could be done, if it is not possible you know already your next steps. And I appreciate you checking my old posts, that saves me a lot of time. If you live somewhere North and your summer temperatures are not that high, you can even overclock you Inspiron with 965. For me, in hot California I had to change case and place strong CPU cooler to do this.

10 Posts

January 24th, 2013 12:00

im actualy running the stock dell case andi live in florida so its pretty hot up here how will i update the bios i fear itl brick my mobo as some people say its happend but ill still try how do i do it?

893 Posts

January 24th, 2013 13:00

This is could be difficult, because it runs hot, also you might have to get additional fans, to go cheaper will require you to get additional fans for sure, will post a picture of how cheap was looks like before I changed the case.

10 Posts

Oh and also would you beable to find a nice heatsink on newegg.com cheaper is better =) as long as it cools got this quad core right beside me and it hard to look at lol

10 Posts

im not talkinf 50c store lol.but hey i just need a heatsink to keep cpu cool umm i think the 15th i get payed and ill be buying a new case

893 Posts

January 24th, 2013 14:00

So you need to survive another 21 days or so before you get money to decide? And what you are planning to do with already purchased cooler? Also, bigger case will require larger CPU cooler, which will cost about the same money. I actually would recommend to hold on while you are waiting for money to come and choose the right case and the rest of cooling components now, so when you have money, you can just order everything. I know it unpleasant (forum will prevent using foul language, and poster might be even banned for this) to have a nice toy and not to use it, but otherwise you will overspend on unnecessary parts. I did, and now I can easily cool down another Inspiron 570 using my old parts, that is about 80 USD waste.

And this is how "cheap" CPU cooler was looks like inside of original Inspiron 570 case.

What you see there is Rocketfish from BestBuy for 21.99, which is identical to COOLER MASTER Hyper TX3 for 19.99 from newegg, I think I changed Rocketfish fan and added pull fan as well, also I placed stronger exhaust fan. If I went with IceEdge (I was first in Universe to install 965 into Inspiron 570, so it was try and error approach) I could use less additional parts, at this point I don't know.

There is also a thing to consider. I tried, and many others did as well - there is no software fan control in Inspiron 570, all depends on original settings in BIOS and motherboard, so when more power hungry processor is used, all fans work slower, in order to get maximum speed you have to fool original PWM (fan speed automatic control), in order to do this... Well this is another topic as it takes more time. When time comes, remind me and I will explain.

893 Posts

January 24th, 2013 16:00

And about the case? And larger cooler?

10 Posts

shall i just wait and buy a new mobo because like ima be spending like 100$ for case cooling and all i mean i dont much wana overclock i dont realy care about overclocking what should i do?

10 Posts

well about the fan i know how to clip the wires and use just all dc power for the fan so itl be 100%i used it before with speaker wire to splice some fans they shortly got anoying so i took them off not the sound but the whole wirething when taking the side off as i had them moneted on the side

10 Posts

so are you saying that i should wait and but a new case with the coolers and stuff?

No Events found!