Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

October 15th, 2017 18:00

dell inspiron 3650 recovery media disk 3

All;

How do I go about getting the 3rd recovery disk, (required for a full system reset).  Right after I bought my Inspiron 3650, I went through the Create Recovery Media, which created TWO, (not three), DVDs.

I believe a bug was introduced between when the 3650 was released, and Dell updated their Backup/Recovery module.  The problem I'm having, is during the restore, I'm prompted to put disk three in, (which, of course, I do NOT have) !

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 16th, 2017 11:00

If this is Win 10, just download the ISO directly from Microsoft (for free) and use their tools to create a bootable USB stick. www.microsoft.com/.../windows10

Keep in mind that the ISO will not include Dell's drivers or any software that Dell installed, but you can download those for free from Dell's support site.

And if you're planning to do a clean install, make sure all your personal files are backed up on external media first and that you have the installation media and product keys for any software you'll need to reinstall.

October 16th, 2017 23:00

Ron; I actually HAVE a Windows 10 DVD that came with the computer.  When I just tried to boot with it, and do a FULL restore, It complained that C:was "locked".  I was at least able to see content on C: & D: running command prompt, which I was not even do-able from the two "Factory Recovery Media" disks I have.

I presume because the Dell Restore Factory media disks I ran yesterday "own" C: .  Unless I have all THREE disks, I'm stuck.  Is there a reputable place that I can trust to get the set of THREE disks ?

Looking back, I backed up my files via Windows (readable), then decided I'd use Dell's BackUp & Restore utility, which created 20 or 30 sequentially numbered files, all compressed via Dell's utility.  Foolishly, I believed my Two disks were all I needed to get back to square one, (sigh).

Any leads on where to get the complete THREE disk set would be appreciated.  I believe the download to flash-drive I saw on Dell's site was only for the "Backup & Recovery" utility, (not the complete "Factory Media" image).

Thanks,

Neil M.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 17th, 2017 11:00

Don't know about getting the 3rd disk, but it may not help you anyway because that disk would have to be a continuation of disk 2, and that's likely going to be unique for every PC.

Read these about the locked hard drive:

www.dell.com/.../hard-drive-locked-error-during-windows-10-recovery

www.dell.com/.../windows-10--hard-drive-locked-error-during-install

October 18th, 2017 17:00

Ron;  Giving it a try now, thanks for both URLs.  NM

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 18th, 2017 20:00

Post back and let us know what happens...

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

October 20th, 2017 04:00

The Windows 10 Media Creation Tool gives a Windows 10 Version 1709 (September 2017) Installation .iso.

Dell Recovery Media is usually Versions 1511 or even 1507 and are completely obsolete. Moreover these versions of Windows 10 were substantially buggy. Microsoft has made vast improvements in Windows 10 since 2015.

• 16299 is RS3 (1709)
  • 15063 is RS2 (1703)
  • 14393 is RS1 (1607)
  • 10586 is TH2 (1511)
  • 10240 is TH1 (1507)

Use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to get the latest .iso:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 

October 20th, 2017 22:00

Ron;

I created an Inspiron 3650 recovery flash drive.  Windows 10 installed, no problem.  It's still going through a year and a half of updates.  After getting .net 3.5 installed, the Driver Updater seems to work.

Dell Digital Delivery Application installed successfully, but seems to do nothing.

How do I go about getting the “BackUP & Recovery” tool that came installed originally, Apparently, that’d be from:

www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/inspiron-3650-desktop/drivers

>> Dell Digital Locker .  

•  Dell Digital Locker Download purchased software and manage licensed software products.

Yet, this seems empty . . .  I recall doing the free upgrade from Windows 8.1 to window 10, sold with the PC.  Has Dell not released the Windows 10 version of the Backup and Recovery Utility ?

I used the Dell BackUp & Recovery to save-off everything I cared about to an external HD, expecting to be able to use the same BackUp & Recovery tool, to recover it.

Thanks, NM

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 21st, 2017 13:00

You should have been able to get the  Win 10 Creators Fall Update ISO which would be fully updated with the latest patches so I'm not sure what ISO you got and you're having to install all those updates now. Unless you grabbed the ISO before the Fall update ISO was available on the 17th, this week.  In which case you might want to cancel out of your update and grab the new ISO and do a clean install.

I believe DBaR has been shelved and doesn't support Win 10. And there's this on Dell's site: "The My Dell Downloads pre-installed software download site is no longer be available after 31 July 2017.  Supported factory installed software for your system is available from the Dell Download Center."  (Ignore their lousy English! :emotion-5: )

No Events found!