Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

I

December 14th, 2013 23:00

dell inspiron 530 not turning on

dell inspiron 530 windows xp sp3

well, there was this day, i thought ill turn the computer on, and use it, and what happened was this:

i hit the power button.. and the fan starts.. it doesnt stop... the led for the process/hdd read/write does nothing

so i thought, well ill try another day.

today i hit it, it turn on. i load up the desktop and it starts to slowly load things

meanwhile i was back on my laptop

and all of a sudden the screen for the computer goes off...

so.. i check.. its still running but the led for the hdd read/write is not on

i turn it off (holding the power button)

and i try to turn it on again. the same thing happens.

i would like to know

is the computer fried or what? its the family computer

i have an external hard drive to store data, but

i need to get it on to do that

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 15th, 2013 00:00

Have you cleaned out any accumulated dust from the insides? It wouldn't hurt to invest in a new 80 Plus Bronze power supply, either.

124 Posts

December 15th, 2013 01:00

not the psu. i should have rephrased that. its not BOOTING UP

i did not hear it, but it was giving a beep error code of 4.. which meant ram code error.

i opened it up, pulled the ram out, put it back in

and tried to turn it on

now it turns on but gets stuck at the dell loadup screen.

will not let me press f2 or f12. (nothing happens)

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 15th, 2013 13:00

inverno4661

Have you installed new memory recently?

Remove all the memory modules, reinstall one module, and restart the computer, if the system does not boot, install the module in different slots one at a time, rebooting the system each time.

Still does not boot, then use a different module and repeat the process.

Continue until you have identified a faulty module [or slot] or reinstalled all modules without error.

Then if the computer still does not start, it's possible that the motherboard has failed and needs to be replaced.

Bev.

124 Posts

December 15th, 2013 17:00

ram has not changed.

i did swap them:

i swapped them so that

the a's and the b's swapped places.

so:

1a->1b
2a->2b

1b->1a
2b->2a

this made it so the computer could turn on. however, as soon as the computer loads the boot, and the fan goes down a bit, this screen comes up.. and it stays on this screen. no beeps can be heard and the led for the hdd red/write does nothing.
 does not illuminate.

sorry for the size. had to keep making it smaller to obey the dumb new rule of uploads being less than 64kb.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 15th, 2013 19:00

inverno4661

Did you try one module at a time, like I posted?

Bev.

124 Posts

June 27th, 2016 22:00

Wow, so I've been trying this entire evening to Fix this problem, as I'm trying to Set up the computer to watch media on the big screen.

I actually came to this forum looking for the cpu details as I went to a different forum to figure this out.

So I thought, beep code 4, I figured I would try your suggestion.

I installed 1 DDR2 module into the first slot ( closest to the processor)

en.community.dell.com/cfs-file/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/3515/5775.540.jpg

I pressed the power button, it turned on, fans bull blast, then turned off.
 then on again, only the fans full blast and nothing changing, read/write led indicator not blinking, so i held the power button until it turned off.

moved the module into the second slot. 

same thing, turned on, fans fast, then returned to idle, the first time tonight.

windows xp was loading

when it came to the select user i lagued so hard, a screen i haven't seen in ages.

I'm sorry, When i first asked about this I was a very Naive young teenager.

I feel bad that i had ignored you suggestion so long ago.]

opening up task manager, it appears that no ram is present, instead I am shown a graph of page file usage.

Waiting on your reply, if slot 1 is damaged, can i put the other two modules in to slots 3 and 4 and run the computer with 3gb of ram?

I have full intent to wipe the drive and install a fresh copy of windows xp, or windows 7.

as far as the updates go for windows 7, don't worry, I already went through that mess on my mom's laptop.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 28th, 2016 05:00

inverno4661

Yes, on running 3gb of RAM.

Best to install windows 7, all support for XP was ended April 2014, there are no more security updates or technical support for the Windows XP operating system available.

Bev.

124 Posts

June 28th, 2016 16:00

Well, i fired it up again today, trying a second module of ram in slot 4, ( so there would be a slot in 2 and 4)

No good.

would not boot. so i shut it off and removed it. Turned it back on with 1 module and i've been copying old files off to my portable HDD. and deleting old files and programs.

task manager shows page file usage not physical memory so i doubt it is using the ram installed.

No Events found!