Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 15th, 2015 08:00

dell mini viewer

Did the Dell mini viewer only come with the XPS 420 or were there other PC's that also had the screen in the case? My motherboard has died and I would like to replace/upgrade it but keep the screen working

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

September 15th, 2015 14:00

Please don't double-post the same issue.

Chances are, the only way you'll be able to use that mini-viewer screen is if you install another 420 motherboard.

Dell uses custom connectors between motherboards and front panels. So you probably wouldn't be able to use the case for anything but another 420 motherboard with/without the mini-viewer screen.

7 Posts

September 16th, 2015 03:00

I can't believe no one has even attempted to try and reuse this case and the screen! It is so awesome, looks like a major project of changing all the internal switches and plugs, I was really hoping for a pinout of the screen I have found the pins for the six lights, but without a working motherboard the rest is proving to be problematic. Sorry about the double post but I have been scouring the internet for weeks for some information about the mini viewer and there is no technical information available and I was getting to my wits end

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

September 16th, 2015 12:00

I understand your frustration, but Dell doesn't provide pin-outs for connectors between cases and motherboards so users are on their own to figure it out.

Are you sure the old motherboard is dead? How did you make that conclusion?

If it's really dead, you may be able to find an identical replacement board, but only you can decide how much time and $$ to spend on this older system...

7 Posts

September 16th, 2015 16:00

I'm pretty sure the motherboard is dead when I switch it on there are no beeps, no diagnostic lights on the mini viewer, no fans start, there is a solid light on the motherboard and a flashing light on the power switch. I have tried another power supply that I know works and I get the same result.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

September 16th, 2015 16:00

From the manual:

If the power light is blinking amber, the computer is receiving electrical

power, but an internal power problem might exist.

– Ensure that the voltage selection switch is set to match the AC power

at your location, if applicable. (Be sure to unplug from the mains first!)

– Ensure that the processor power cable is securely connected to the

system board

When was last time you replaced the motherboard battery?

Have you checked the cable connections between the front panel and motherboard at both ends?

Have you tried stripping it down to bare essentials by removing all PCI cards, except video, disconnected all drives except boot HDD. Reseating RAM modules in their slots.

Then clear BIOS by removing motherboard battery and pressing/holding power button for ~30 sec before reinstalling the battery. See if it boots now with only mouse, monitor and keyboard connected.

Have you visually checked all USB ports on the tower to see if any are broken or bent, causing a short?

7 Posts

September 17th, 2015 08:00

Slight improvement? I have managed to stop the light from flashing and the motherboard light is still on, I'm going to completely strip it down and rebuild it later, hopefully that will either kill or cure it. I inherited this PC of my brother and he claimed he could get it to boot as far as the Bios screen, yet when I got it, it wouldn't do anything except flash

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

September 17th, 2015 13:00

In that case, before you do anything else, install a fresh motherboard battery. CR2032 3-volt lithium ion battery, ~$2 at discount stores. If nothing else, you'll rule the battery out as causing the problem.

The LED on the motherboard should be on whenever the PC is connected to a working outlet. That LED means the motherboard is getting "flea power", but not necessarily enough power to run the system.

7 Posts

September 17th, 2015 16:00

One brand new battery and a complete rebuild later I'm back to the flashing amber light, I have tried all the usual things, pretty close to giving up now!

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

September 17th, 2015 19:00

That would have been too easy...

What color are the 4 diagnostic LEDs on top bezel when it won't boot? Check the manual for error codes. The pattern might point you in the right direction

Did you examine the USB ports? Did you strip it down to bare essentials? Also try removing all RAM modules except the one in slot 1. Reset BIOS with the battery and try to boot again.

Doesn't look like the 420 has onboard video, so if you have a spare video card or can borrow one from another PC, remove the existing card and swap in a replacement. Reset BIOS with the battery and then see if it will boot with the new video card.

7 Posts

September 18th, 2015 15:00

I have tried everything including a spare video card, there are no diagnostic lights on and there are no beeps, just the flashing amber light on the power switch, fans don't start,no video output, I have also visually inspected all the capacitors there is no bulging or leakedge

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

September 18th, 2015 17:00

Decision time: Find another 420 motherboard or kiss it good-bye and get a new PC...

Only you can decide.

Pity.

No Events found!