Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 28th, 2013 16:00

dell precision T[xxxx]. Need info on hdd0 - hdd3 ports

Hi,

I recently bought t5600. I'm one of the customers who didn't order a PERC controller, but I've been struggling to get some information on hdd0 - hdd3 ports with no luck. Does anyone know whether these ports operate on 3gb/s sata II or 6gb/s sata III? I've been able to get info on an Integrated intel controller and c600 which supports 6gb/s and the sata cables which were connected to drives are both labeled as 6gb/s-support. 

I installed an intel ssd (supports sata III) recently and it's connected to hdd0 (blue port). But when I run scan on it, it says that the speed link is 3gb/s and the ATTO test gives me max 260 MBps read speed, while the disk should be capable of providing 540 MBps. So the link is obviously 3GB/s. So I assume the ports are SATA II? Can someone verify this?

Also another question. Did anyone have any success installing win 8.1 on dell precision? I managed to pass the "no drives found" issue by installing the SAS RAID controller driver and win8.1 installtion was successfull, but then the system kept freezing and giving me blue screens of d.

Thanks in advance,

-Andrej

2 Posts

November 28th, 2013 19:00

I connected my SSD on SATA0 port and now I got the expected read/write speeds (around 550 MBps). So I'm guessing HDD0 - HDD3 ports are SATA II while SATA0 and SATA1 ports (which were actually designed for optical drives) are SATA III.

1 Message

December 6th, 2013 06:00

Also have been having an SSD crisis with this Dell Workstation (T3600), I used to spent days getting this SSD to work when I first bought it because the windows install program did not recognize the drive, so I had to load the driver from a  separate  CD.

You would think spending so much money on a computer you'd be free of hassle, but you're to suppose to only use this with that stupid RAID controller, if you do not use the RAID controller customer service declares you a heretic and goes " but sir this device is meant to be used only with the RAID controller".

To get SATA 3 speeds I've been using the slot originally for the CD-rom, SATA0.  
Never got the blue HDD0 port to work though, does that need some extra power to work or something? If you look on the motherboard next to the blue port, it says power1 HDD0.
Then there is Service Mode next to the blue HDD0 slot, which is another enigma of this machine.

If any of you wizz kids can make an iso image that has the sata drivers for windows 7 64x already integrated that would be hugely appreciated 

No Events found!