Highlighted
vega1001x
1 Copper

dell studio slim 540 graphics card upgrade

Jump to solution

So i wanted to upgrade the graphics card on my dell studio from the original one it has. Its a Intel(R) g45/g43 express chipset. Im a gamer and I need something at least decent to play some of the newer games. The operating system is windows 7 changed it from windows vista. Any help would be greatly apreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
8 Krypton

Re: dell studio slim 540 graphics card upgrade

Jump to solution

So i wanted to upgrade the graphics card on my dell studio from the original one it has. Its a Intel(R) g45/g43 express chipset. Im a gamer and I need something at least decent to play some of the newer games. The operating system is windows 7 changed it from windows vista. Any help would be greatly apreciated.

I have one of those and it will work nicely with a Sapphire 6570 low profile. However, if gaming is your goal, you might get a Sapphire 6670 DDR5 instead.

I don't recommend the 4350 because: 1, it's a four-year-old design that's three generations behind; and 2, it's not much better than your onboard video.

6 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi,

Welcome to Dell Community

In order to know the compatible graphic card for your system, would request you to please let us know the system model and the service tag.

Thanks,

Amit.

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community

0 Kudos
vega1001x
1 Copper

Jump to solution

System model: Studio Slim 540s

service tag: <ADMIN NOTE :Service tag removed per privacy policy>

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi,

Welcome to Dell Community.

As per the system speciafications and configration you can use ATI Radeon HD 4350 512M DDR2 PCI-E Video Graphic Card w/VGA / HDMI / DVI, which is compatible with your system.

Thanks,

Amit.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

I have one of those and it will work nicely with a Sapphire 6570 low profile. However, if gaming is your goal, you might get a Sapphire 6670 DDR5 instead.

I don't recommend the 4350 because: 1, it's a four-year-old design that's three generations behind; and 2, it's not much better than your onboard video.

Jump to solution

Hi,

Welcome to Dell Community.

As mentioned by rdunnill you can install Sapphire 6570 low profile DDR5. However it require minimum of 400 watt power supply. You can install this graphic card but however you need to upgrade the power supply of the system.

Amit.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

As mentioned by rdunnill you can install Sapphire 6570 low profile DDR5. However it require minimum of 400 watt power supply. You can install this graphic card but however you need to upgrade the power supply of the system.

Manufacturers are famous for overstating power supply requirements. I had the Sapphire working very nicely in a mini-ITX case with 220-watt power supply, and a Vostro 220s with a 250-watt unit.

Anandtech has posted a review of the 6570 that pegs system power consumption at full gaming load at 204 watts, well within the capabilities of a 250-watt slim power supply. I'm intrigued that the 6670 has slightly lower power consumption than the 6670 in these tests, as it has better gaming performance and is available in low profile.

0 Kudos