Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 7th, 2013 09:00

dell xps 420 clean restore missing image

picked up some nasty files and some garbage programs when my computer was used by someone else for a week. i just want to clean restore to factory and start fresh. i hit f8 and went into the repair utility, chose to use the restore image, there is a visible back up partition in Computer but that doesnt seem to do anything. i havent done partition editing for this computer so i dont know how this was lost unless it wasnt there to begin with, anyone know how to get this to work?

windows vista.

1.1K Posts

Hi paintitblack756,

Thank you for the reply. Below are the steps:

Note: This will lead to data (pictures, documents, programs, music) loss. Please perform a data backup prior to this step. Please disconnect any external peripherals (printer, scanner or any USB device) as well.

1. Start the computer. Tap the key about 5-6 times on the keyboard during the startup process ( as soon as you see the blue Dell logo) until you see the Windows Advanced Options menu on the screen.
  2. Press the key to select Repair Your Computer and press the key.
  3. The System Recovery Options window appears.
  4. Select your language and click next.
  5. Log in as a user with administrative rights and click OK.
  6. Click Dell Factory Image Restore.
  7. The Dell Factory Image Restore window appears.
  8. Click Next.
  9. Check ‘Yes’, reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory condition. 
  10. Click Next.
  11. The factory software image is now written to your hard drive.
  12. Click Finish to restart the computer.

Let me know if it works. Please reply for any further questions.

1.1K Posts

Hi paintitblack756,

Please share the operating system instaled on your system so that I can provide you the steps to take the system back to its factory settings.

Please reply for any further questions.

February 7th, 2013 10:00

i get past step 6 and it tells me there is no image, and asks me if i want to install a missing driver or use a network boot. at that point i have no way forward

1.1K Posts

February 8th, 2013 14:00

Hi paintitblack756,

I will recommend you to re-install the windows Vista using Dell OEM disk. Below are the steps:

Note: Re installing windows will lead to data (pictures, documents, programs, music) loss. Please perform a data backup prior to this step. Please disconnect any external peripherals (printer, scanner or any USB device) as well.

• Insert the windows Install DVD into the DVD drive, and then restart your computer. When the message ‘press any key to boot from the CD or DVD ...’ appears, press a key to continue booting to the DVD.
  • After Windows Vista setup loads, confirm the language, time, currency and keyboard method settings are correct then click 'Next'.
  • On the windows Vista Installation page, click 'Install Now'.
  • Review the terms and click 'I accept the license terms' to proceed.
  • On the 'Which type of installation do you want?' Window, click Custom (advanced).
  • On the 'Where do you want to install Windows' window, click on "Drive options" (Advanced).
  • Highlight each partition and click on "Delete". Once all the partitions are deleted, select this unallocated space and click 'Next'.

Note: Your computer will restart several times during installation.

• The next couple of screens allow you to personalize and customize Windows 7/Vista.
  • Once you see the desktop, you are ready to move on to the next step.

Please reply for any further questions.

February 13th, 2013 05:00

sorry to shoot another option down but that also wont work, due to the aforementioned dvd being in some landfill somewhere, the computer was a gift and everything besides the working parts of the computer was thrown out when it was set up for me. there is a recovery partition thats been visible in computer since i got it, it looks like a c: drive when its first opened, with an extremely shortened folder list. i dont know how to use it to restore my computer or if that is even possible, ive never actually modified it , so if i could use it as a restore it would be the same, but ive never used a back up or restore like that and dont know how to start that process. if i cant actually do anything with it

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 13th, 2013 08:00

XPS 420 supports clean reinstall of XP, VISTA, WIN7 or WIN8.

Damaged Drive recovery is not fixable at this point.

A Dell GREEN or Robins EGG Blue XP recovery CD with SP2 or SP3 will work on it. If its Vista Business Then that will also work with Dell Recovery DVD.  Windows 7 and Windows 8 OEM System Builder media must be purchased thru Microcenter or Newegg or some other vendor that carries this.

February 16th, 2013 04:00

thank you for telling me that. i understand its pretty much a no go now, i just wish i new what that extra partition was for. seems totally useless now. thank you all for your help with this even if i have no real workaround for it, better to know i cant do anything (besides getting a new disk) than not know what i could do

No Events found!