Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 9th, 2011 20:00

dell xps 8300, new, with nvidia 460, overheating at 70c

recently i have been playing battlefield 3 and had the game's graphics suffer from artifacting. the distortion was extremely prominent and prevented me from even seeing the surroundings. several times it has crashed without notification i believe this to be from the 65-70 C degree range it experiences while playing. ive opened it open and determine the fans to be secure and in operating condition. i am worried about lasting damage to my new computer but am unfamiliar with heatsinks and the ilk. it runs at 40 c idle, and these numbers all come from cpuid hardware monitor.  gpu temperature remains constant at about 60 under a load. i only have stock fans would these need to be replaced as well? will prolonged temperatures of 70 c ruin components? thank you for your assistance

872 Posts

November 9th, 2011 21:00

4 Posts

November 9th, 2011 21:00

Those temps are completely normal, make sure your nvidia drivers are updated, I believe they released updated drivers in anticipation of Battlefield 3 being released.

6 Posts

November 9th, 2011 23:00

it is unlikely that its simply too weak and all drivers are recently updated. im running the game at 50 frames a second on all ultra settings. if it was too weak id be getting 2 fps. when i put it on low settings my fps jump to 150 under heavy duress. and i just wanted to make sure this temperature wasnt endangering any of my components as ive read 70c is right at the borderline. i have stock fans and thermal paste was thinking about replacing one or both....

i had played the game for several days before this happened, usually many hours at a time. i guess if the temperatures arent cpu threatening its not really a big deal unless it continues to happen. in addition i cannot get a better gpu since my psu is only 460

1.5K Posts

November 10th, 2011 06:00

Here are the optimal settings for the GTX 460 with Battlefield 2.  So I would imagine it is going to be less for Battlefield 3.  You have to make sure your minimum FPS does not fall below 20-25 or you need to make some setting changes.  Your GPU temps are fine.  Not sure about that 70c on the CPU though.  Seems high.  

1680x1050     1920x1200       2560x1600
Overall Quality      Advanced        Advanced         Advanced
Level of Detail          High                High                 High
Texture Quality         High                High                 High
Shadow Quality         High                High                 High
Effects Quality          High                High                 High
Anti aliasing              16x                  16x                   4x
Anisotropic filter      16x                  16x                  16x
VSYNC                       Off                   Off                   Off
HBAO                         On                   On                   On
Average FPS            44                    37                     31

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 10th, 2011 07:00

I recall NVIDIA GPU's being able to handle quite a lot.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-gtx-460-oem-us.html

Thermal and Power Specs:
Maximum GPU Temperature (in C) 104 C
Maximum Graphics Card Power (W) 150 W
Minimum Recommended System Power (W) 450 W
Supplementary Power Connectors 1x 6-pin 

6 Posts

November 10th, 2011 07:00

i thought the temp seemed high as well and wasnt sure the optimal operating temperature of the xps 8300. the case seems pretty open and flowing but then again the graphics card is huge and covers the bottom half. again however my fps is steady at 50-60 on ultra settings on bf3. i only recently got comp and havent really put it through its paces yet and as such am still becoming familiar with its particulars. if i need to make adjustments by getting a nonstock fan and reapplying thermal paste to the heatsink and whatnot then thats what ill do, i just want to make sure im not overracting first. my worry is it starts out running at about 40c but on bf3 it quickly raises to 65 range. thats like a 50 degree F increase which to me is mind boggling.

1 Message

November 10th, 2011 08:00

Test Test............................

6 Posts

yes all updated nvidia drivers, as i only got the card a week ago.. and i checked up on the 104c for the graphics card, but thats not what im worried about, the gpu temp tops out at 58 or so under max load. its the cpu thats im worried about, as its the 4 cores of my i5 2300 that reaches 65C. i understand im under warrenty but dont really feel like purposely breaking my computer just to get a replacement part that will only keep me out of bf3 longer.  an ounce of prevention right? anyways either its a minor issue like lack of fan power or improperly mounted heatsink in which case i can fix it myself, or its something big like a problem with the cpu in which case id like to catch it before it melts anything

1.5K Posts

It does seem mind boggling when you change it to Farenheit.  You are under warranty.  I would not worry about doing too much right now.  If the CPU is the culprit and causing the game problems due to overheating, I can understand some frustration and wanting to take additional measures to try to fix it.  However, I would let things go for now and just see what happens.  I don't think Dell would do much under warranty based on what is happening right now.  They would replace the CPU if it simply overheats and dies though, but you never know about thermal paste whether you got a good or bad application of it.  I would hang in there for awhile.  My understanding is that you are using the most current drivers from Nvidia for this game, correct?  

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 10th, 2011 09:00

Did you install the Directx June 2010 patch?

DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) - Microsoft

Supported Operating Systems: Windows 7, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2, Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista, Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows XP Service Pack 3

872 Posts

872 Posts

No Events found!