jng555
1 Copper

desktop inspiron 560s

does the dell inspiron 560 come with a restore disk ?

0 Kudos
19 Replies
RobinBredin
5 Tungsten

Re: desktop inspiron 560s

Hi JNG555, Yes, you should get an restore disc, along with an drivers disc and CD/DVD disc's for other software supplied with the system.

If my answer Was helpful?  Please let me know by clicking on the 'Did this answer your question' and clicking on the Yes button.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Mary G
6 Indium

I just learned this--You don't get recovery disk if you ordered Windows 7. Dell no longer supplies the OS disk with windows 7 computers. You make your own recovery disks. Directions HERE.

Here's the notice: Dell no longer provides the operating system or resource disks in the box for Windows 7 Systems. It is important for you to create recovery disks in case of a hard drive failure. If you do not create the recovery disks, there may be a charge from Dell for the operating system recovery media.

0 Kudos
RobinBredin
5 Tungsten

I just learned this--You don't get recovery disk if you ordered Windows 7. Dell no longer supplies the OS disk with windows 7 computers. You make your own recovery disks. Directions HERE.

Here's the notice: Dell no longer provides the operating system or resource disks in the box for Windows 7 Systems. It is important for you to create recovery disks in case of a hard drive failure. If you do not create the recovery disks, there may be a charge from Dell for the operating system recovery media.

WOW, good find Mary. There must be an different recovery partition on the HD to allow the user to create their own recovery disc's.

If my answer Was helpful?  Please let me know by clicking on the 'Did this answer your question' and clicking on the Yes button.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Mary.

Thank's for the useful info, seems to be a repeat of Dell infamous 'Media Reduction Initiative' of several years ago.   emoticon.Stickouttongue.title

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
Mary G
6 Indium

That's what I thought. We know how that turned out. I guess pricing pressures forced them into this. I'm bummed because I ordered a new laptop on the 8th--the day after this was announced. I didn't see the posting until today. The "may be a charge" phrase gives them some wiggle room. I'll see if the disks are included in my package.

Edit: I checked my order details and it does list Dell Resource and  Backup DVD. Maybe the new policy is not in effect yet.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Hi Mary.

Please let us know if you receive a set of Dell reinstallation discs with the laptop.

I'm a little upset about this also, as I recently ordered a Vostro desktop, with W7, guess I'll have to contact the people in Houston, the Vostro was shipped to and find out if they have the discs.   emoticon.Confused.title

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

0 Kudos
Mary G
6 Indium

I'll let you know. I think you're OK since this notice was just posted a few days ago and my order details has the dvd listed. I was thinking that this policy might not apply for all models, just the budget models that sell for $299 or thereabouts. That makes sense considering the cost of Win 7.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Mary.

Oh, I hope so.  

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

0 Kudos
Highlighted
don3221
1 Copper

I ordered on April 7th and it only lists the resource DVD with applications and also lists DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 which is what they are going to for you to create your own OS DVD from.  Doesn't look too promising that I will actually get an OS disc with my system.

0 Kudos