Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

September 28th, 2004 19:00

dimension 8100 blue screen of death during boot after dell driver / patch update :o(

I have a Dell Dimension 8100 running Windows 2000 Service Pack 4. Everything has been running OK until today. I downloaded and installed the Dell/Intel ATA update (Z0108T10.EXE). The patched installed OK and requested a reboot to continue installation. After the reboot the system started OK and again requested a final reboot to finish the install.

Now my system will not boot. I get the blue screen of death KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED in pfc.sys after the first white on black progress bar shows 100% (the windows logo flicks on screen briefly). The pfc.sys file is pat of my veritas cd/dvd writer installation which has been working fine for over 1 year. I can't boot into any mode Safe/debug etc. Everything gives the BSOD.

I can enter recovery mode from my original installation CD and navigate around the winnt folder. I tried disabling the IntelATA service from starting at boot but this did not help changed BSOD error tp INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE. (IntelATA re-enabled again)

Anyone know how I uninstall, remove the update or repair my system so I can boot to Win2K again?

Thanks in advance Stella.

1.2K Posts

September 28th, 2004 21:00

Try this. When your booting the system, press F8 after the dell splash screen. You should get a screen of options. Select "last known good configuration". Not sure if you've tried this, or if it will work. But its worth a go.

September 29th, 2004 03:00

Thanks for the tip but I already tried last known good configuration. All options from the advanced boot menu result in the blue screen of death and the same error message.

Booting from my original Windows 2000 Pro installation disc and selecting Repair then Repair Console is the only way I get get into the machine.

Stella

September 30th, 2004 11:00

OK I got so fed up trying to resolve this issue that I reformatted my hard drive and started again.

As far as I can see there is no way to recover from this senario with the state my pc was in.

No Events found!