Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

April 27th, 2010 10:00

dimension 8200 desktop--XPProf with SP3 update--bkup problems and cannot run sfc scannow to check--

Hello, 

I recently started having a problem accessing system backup on my XP Prof SP3 (SP3 via updates) machine (dell dimension 8200).  The ntbackup exe file is in my system32 folder and it is trying to run but cannot (on shutdown it tries to close via end now but never opens for use).  I tried to run an sfc scannow to check my system files but when it asked for my installation cd and I put it in (from 2001 so original XP Pro) it told me that I now have XP3 on my system so this is not working.  I was trying to figure out a simple way to get an installation cd for my system with XP3 but so far, no luck.  I thought I could use that when I ran scannow if I could create an installation cd with SP3.

Does anyone know either an easy way of fixing this non accessible backup problem?

Or of a way of creating an installation cd with XP3 for my machine.

One other option I thought of but do not know if it is workable--I have a newer ( a little over a year old) laptop system (vostro 1510) also from Dell and it was configured with XP Pro so I have an installation cd from that which is XP3.  Can I use that when I run sfc scannow on the older machine and the program asks to install a cd?  Will this cause me any problems--I do not know if the installation cds are computer specific or if they can be used across computers--both of which I own.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 27th, 2010 12:00

If the 8200 has XP pro, it's legal to use the Dell disk from the Vostro. If the 8200 has XP home, it's not legal, and probably won't work.

You can try requesting the XP SP3 disk for the 8200 from Dell here, assuming you're in the US. They used to provide replacement disks for free, but the policy is changing (or has changed) so they  may charge S/H fees now, assuming they're still willing to provide the disk.

Alternatively, you can create a slip-streamed CD containing SP2 from your Dell XP disk and SP3 downloaded (free) from Microsoft. There's a good tutorial on slip-streaming XP SP3 here.

Ron

48 Posts

April 27th, 2010 14:00

Ron,

Thank you!  This is very helpful.  I started reading on slipstreaming earlier today and tried the nLink version but that does not work for XP Pro original disks without any SPs.  The link you sent looks much more promising.  Always good to have a disk made from the system on the computer.  Much appreciated.

I sent in the request to dell for an XP Pro SP3 disk.  Was told I will be contacted in a few days.

Avostro

No Events found!