Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 9th, 2010 21:00

dimension E510 audio problem

Hello all, recently i had to format my computer and i have installed Windows xp sp2 everything went well except for the sound there was no sound i tried to install the chipset driver first then i installed the Sigmatel audio driver but still no sound. i read some thread before and i tried to do the same thing like uninstall the sigmatel audio from my device manager and install the chipset first but no luck. when i install the sigmatel drive everything go great in the beginning till i get to" restart your computer" and i do that but when i reboot it the setup continue and when i click next i get this"this system does not support the driver you are attempting to install" and i'm sure that my driver is sigmatel. Could somebody help me please?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 10th, 2010 03:00

I have an E510.

Why are you doing the install manually?  There is a Dell Recovery Partition on the hard drive (or at least was originally) that will restore the PC to the original factory setup and no discs are needed.  You access the recovery partition by CTRL/F11 at initial boot up.  Did you try that before doing the manual reinstall?

Are you installing the Dell supplied SigmaTel driver for Windows XP or are you installing some other driver?  You must use the Dell driver. 

HERE is the Dell SigmaTel Widnows XP download.  Try this one.  Click the Blue download button, DO NOT use the Dell Download Manager as it has a lot of problems.

The correct install sequence is (1) Install Windows (2) Install Intel Chipset Drivers (3) Install Device Drivers including the Dell sound drivers, video, ethernet, etc. 

If the chpset drivers were skipped usually you can install them then the sound and it will work OK.  In a few isolated cases it takes a complete new and correct install to get it working.

5 Posts

January 11th, 2010 10:00

i did all the sequences but when i download the chipset they say that the "usbehci.sys" is needed. Does this affect on  the sound because i downloaded the sound driver and they gave me the same message "this system does not support the driver you are attempting to install". Is there a way to get the"usbehci.sys" file? 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 11th, 2010 12:00

That file is a USB file and should not have anything to do with downloading a file to the hard drive, but it could have something to do with the chipset as the chipset defines all the hardware devices on the motherboard including the USB.  

Do a google search for that file and you will get a lot of info on it.  One site I looked at noted that file came with Windows XP, SP1.    Since you just installed it would appear that Windows did not install fully.  You may get by with either a Windows XP "Repair" or maybe if you run the System File checker it may find the missing file.

Here is info on the SFC that I found at one site.  If for some reason the file is missing or corrupt then run System File Checker. Go to Start, Run, type "SFC /SCANNOW" without the quotes and you should see SFC run through, it should also ask you for the Windows CD if it needs to replace any files.

5 Posts

January 11th, 2010 21:00

I did the SFC on the computer but when i download the chipset again i still get the same problem that the file is missing, and the sound is still not working. Anyway thanks for your help but i guess i'm gonna take the case to the repair shop.

No Events found!