Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 5th, 2011 07:00

does not start after you install Acronis True Image?

I have a dell xps 8100 study. I just happen to just install some program such as Acronis True Image 2011, the PC will not start anymore. shows the following error on startup "Could not start the PC for a recent change in hardware or software ..." I have not changed your PC or installed malicious programs ....

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 5th, 2011 07:00

You will have to Check with Acronis.

7 Posts

October 5th, 2011 08:00

What should I check?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 5th, 2011 09:00

This is not a Dell Hardware Issue or a Dell Issue.

Support - Backup software for data backup and disaster recovery in ...

www.acronis.com/support/

Contact Support

7 Posts

October 5th, 2011 18:00

but it has happened with other programs why?

7 Posts

October 5th, 2011 19:00

I appeared the following startup error MBR Error 3!!! What is it?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 5th, 2011 19:00

If the drive is Physically damaged then its a hardware issue.  However this seems like a software issue.   You could try F8 startup repair and or F8 factory restore.  Factory Restore will wipe out all of your user data files.  Neither Dell Nor other users here are responsible for Acronis or other "software" that you installed.

38 Posts

October 5th, 2011 20:00

If you boot your wit the windows repair disk if made one, select repair my computer, that should fix it.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 6th, 2011 04:00

I have Acronis True Image 2011, as do many of my clients and a lot of Techies that I know.  None of us are having problems so I wonder if it was Acronis that caused the problem.  

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 6th, 2011 06:00

No Actually this is an  Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software Error.

This is Not a Dell Hardware Issue Nor is it a Microsoft Windows Issue.

Neither DELL nor Microsoft Support this issue.

You should boot from Acronis Disk Director Bootable Rescue CD and re-activate Acronis OS Selector.

This should resolve the issue with MBR Error 3 message.

You can also use the following solution in order to get rid of this message:

Windows 95/98/Me – boot from Startup Disk (floppy) and run "fdisk /mbr" command;

Windows 2000/XP/2003 – boot from Installation Disc (CD) into Recovery Console and run "fixmbr" command.

After this command issued please activate Acronis OS Selector.

If this solution does not help then please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post

and submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected report file to your request along with the

step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appeared.

Acronis OS Selector Fails to Load | Knowledge Base

kb.acronis.com/node/17153
You +1'd this publicly.  Undo
Dec 21, 2010 – If the error message is MBR Error 3, then the last booted operating system ... Acronis OS Selector records the absolute address of the following ...

OS Selector, MBR Error 3 after reboot from Windows 7 | Knowledge ...

forum.acronis.com/forum/9542

Symptoms

Acronis OS Selector fails to load with one of the following errors:

Starting Acronis Loader...

or with an endless loop of standard messages:

If the error message is MBR Error 3, then the last booted operating system starts.

Cause

The most probable cause is that the partition on which Acronis OS Selector was installed has been defragmented. Acronis OS Selector records the absolute address of the following configuration files in the MBR: 

FAT NTFS
  • bootsect.sys (BOOTWIZ)

• bootwiz.sys (root directory)
  • bootwiz.cfg (BOOTWIZ)
  • mouse.com (BOOTWIZ)
  • ossmain.exe (BOOTWIZ)
  • parter.exe (BOOTWIZ)
  • x.bin (BOOTWIZ)

(!) If the physical location of these files on the hard drive changes (e.g. during a defragmentation session), then Acronis OS Selector will fail to load.

Solution

Reactivate or completely disable Acronis OS Selector using Acronis OS Selector Bootable Rescue Disk.

More information

To avoid the issue in future it is recommended to create a dedicated partition for Acronis OS Selector:

• Create a small (but not less than 10 MB) FAT/FAT32/NTFS partition on the hard drive. It does not matter if the partition is created at the beginning of the drive or not;
  • Run the Acronis OS Selector installation program (Start -> Programs -> Acronis -> Acronis Disk Director -> Install Acronis OS Selector), uninstall it and reboot. Remember that you should choose the appropriate operating system to boot after the uninstallation (the operating system under which Acronis Disk Director is installed);
  • Run the installation once again in Custom mode and choose the created small partition as the installation path;
  • Reboot the computer and never defragment that partition.
No Events found!