Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 30th, 2010 12:00

drive 0 not found: serial ATA, SATA-0

Yesterday received blue screen -- read it but did not write down information -- last thing written beginning to dump physical data.  I immediately pulled the power cord. when i turned my computer back on it stays on the starup window for a long time then i receive the following:  drive 0 not found:  Serial ATA, SATA-0 Strike the F1key to continue, f2 to run the setup utility.

when i press f1 - receive the following -- no boot device available strike f1 to retry boot, f2 for setup utility

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 30th, 2010 12:00

fustratedAug

Sounds like a hard drive failure, but it would help if you post the computer model and the version of windows.

Bev.

July 30th, 2010 14:00

Model:  Dimension 5100C

Operating System: XP Home Edition

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 30th, 2010 15:00

fustratedAug

It would be handy to have the error message on the BSOD.

Is the power button LED, solid green, blinking green, solid amber, blinking amber?

Are there any 'Beeps'?

Check the sequence of the diagnostic lights on the front of the case and post the results.

This is Dell's troubleshooting guide, for the D-5100c. 

Is the hard drive recognized in the system setup, F2 on start?

Bev.

July 30th, 2010 17:00

Is there a way to get to the error message on the BSOD?  If so, How can I retrieve the error message?

Power Button LED is solid green.

The computer beeps twice.

Diagnostic lights - 1 2 3  and "cyclinder a"re solid green.

What do I do to see if the hard drive is recognized in the system setup?

Do I look in under drives:  Drive 0:SATA-0  is on                     controller details:  controller = serial ATA; port= sata-0 drive details: drive id= unknown

drive 1: pata-0 is on                 controller details:  controller = parallel ATA       port = pata-0 (pri ide master)     driver details:  drive id= _NEC DVD+/-RW ND-6650A

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 30th, 2010 18:00

fustratedAug

In the System Setup, check under 'SATA 0' to see the Drive 0 is recognized.

Diagnostic lights 123x indicate 'Another Failure Has Occurred', not a very helpful diagnosis.

Check that the cables are properly connected to the system board from the hard drive and optical drive, by removing and reconnecting them and see if this makes a difference.

Bev.

July 31st, 2010 08:00

when is system setup

System tab:  boot sequence-- it shows #2 onboard SATA hard drive (not present) 

#4 USB device (not present)

drives tab:  drive 0: SATA-0 is on (the interface is enabled and an attached device is usable) drive details: drive id=unknown

drive 1: is on (the interface is enabled and an attached device is usable) drive id = _NEC DVD+/RW ND-6650A

SATA Operation: Norml

Performance tab:  speed step is off

Maintenance tab:  Load Defaults - cancel (do not restore factory defaults)

When I run the Operating System CD that has installed applications -- it goes through and starts to load files.  Then comes to the screen thagives the options to do the following:

1. set up Windows XP

2. Repair Windows

Also, unplugged the floppy drive and DVD drive cables from mother board and reconnected them.  Did not change anything..

3. Quit Setup

When I chose R - receive the following --setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk related hardware configurations is correct.  This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.    Setup cannot continue.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 31st, 2010 10:00

fustratedAug

As the SATA hard drive is not recognized in the system setup, I suggest replacing the hard drive, reinstall XP and reload the drivers.

The procedure for replacing the 5100c hard drive, is HERE 

The instructions for a manual reinstallation of XP and drivers, are HERE 

Note: Remember to install the drivers in the correct order, as noted in the instructions.

Bev.

July 31st, 2010 12:00

Thanks for your help!!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 31st, 2010 13:00

fustratedAug

You are welcome.

Bev.

1 Message

May 2nd, 2016 16:00

hi there

i'm having the same issue only that my tower model is Dell Precision T3400

Can someone help PLEASE?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

May 3rd, 2016 11:00

There isn't any help for physically bad drive.  You have to replace it.

No Events found!