chobbit
1 Copper

e310/3100 Bios for 60nm CPU

Jump to solution

Hi, My Dell e310/3100 which has now been running almost every day now for close to 10 years as a file server which is a testament to a good system, although the original fan is very load now and I can't find a fan to replace it with the right connector.

I've just a acquired a free E2180 65nm chip which is a 2 core chip compared to the  single core 90nm chip thats in it. So I want to use the E2180. When I installed it and switched on, it powers everything up but it hangs before the bios with the power button appearing amber and not going green.

I'm assuming I would need a bios update to get the chip to work but I can't find any bios updates. Does anyone know if there is one and where I can find them?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
8 Krypton

RE: e310/3100 Bios for 60nm CPU

Jump to solution

Hi, My Dell e310/3100 which has now been running almost every day now for close to 10 years as a file server which is a testament to a good system, although the original fan is very load now and I can't find a fan to replace it with the right connector.

I've just a acquired a free E2180 65nm chip which is a 2 core chip compared to the  single core 90nm chip thats in it. So I want to use the E2180. When I installed it and switched on, it powers everything up but it hangs before the bios with the power button appearing amber and not going green.

I'm assuming I would need a bios update to get the chip to work but I can't find any bios updates. Does anyone know if there is one and where I can find them?

Thanks

chobbit

Sorry to say, the dimension 3100/e310 does not support any Dual Core, or Core 2 Duo processors, only single core P4 or Celeron-D processors, are supported.

Updating the BIOS will not help.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
3 Replies
chobbit
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Just to clarify the title is wrong and it should say a 65nm CPU, I've put the original chip back in to do any bios updates if I can and I'm using Windows 7 64 bit.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Thanks

chobbit

Sorry to say, the dimension 3100/e310 does not support any Dual Core, or Core 2 Duo processors, only single core P4 or Celeron-D processors, are supported.

Updating the BIOS will not help.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
chobbit
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Ah well thanks for the reply, it was worth a try.

Sadly I may have to retire the 3100, as I've just put together a computer for my partner and I needed something a bit faster than the single core can cope with now in this day and age, may just make her computer the new server too as its powerful for medium gaming but low power too 😞

oh well its about time, thanks again.

0 Kudos