Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 4th, 2013 20:00

getting unconfigured hdd on boot

Good evening everyone,

after speeking with a Dell tech, I am now posting here since he cannot help me over the phone with my problem.

I'm getting a screen right at boot saying this:

Marvell........

pci......

physical drive

1- st2000....   unconfigured

press CRTL+M to setup or SPACE to continue

When I enter setup, the only option I get is to delete the RAID config.

I had to connect my 3rd hdd through PCI-E because I only had 4 sata ports on mobo and 2 are taken by the optical drives.  Also it was good for me because it was the only drive capable of sata3. The only info I managed to find is telling me to initialize the drive in Diskmanagement but I don't even get the option.   This will be the programs drive.

What can I do to resolve this problem that seems to be only after boot because Win7 detects the drive and tells me that it is ONLINE.  

I need a good step by step solution because I'm not as good as some of you. 

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 4th, 2013 21:00

Hi Ricbor,

Please let me know Dell system model so that I can check the model details and update you.

Also, The Configuring of RAID would be supported only from the SATA ports on the system board. Connecting the hard drive through PCIE would not support RAID.

3 Posts

August 4th, 2013 22:00

I'm running an XPS 8500 on win7.  OS on SSD and another HDD only for files and music.  I'm trying to use this HDD for programs.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 6th, 2013 07:00

Hi Ricbor,

As you are using the hard drive for individual purposes. The RAID cannot be configured on it. That is the reason you are getting only one option to delete the configuration under RAID setup.

3 Posts

August 8th, 2013 21:00

thanks for the info but then what do i have to do to get rid of that screen on boot.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 9th, 2013 09:00

Hi Ricbor,

I would suggest you backup all the files and then delete the RAID configuration on the system. If you lose the data you can recover the data from the backed up files.

No Events found!