Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 12th, 2005 12:00

have 8200 - how do tell if have usb 2.0?

i have a dimension 8200 , 2 usb's in back and 2 in front.
i am going to get a digital camcorder and i am trying to figure out
if i have any usb 2.0 ports so i can download the video at a decent rate of speed.

the usb ports i have were stock for the 8200.

i would really appreciate your words of wisdom.

thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

The USB is 1.1. If you need 2.0, you can install a USB 2.0 PCI card.

265 Posts

you have USB 1.1

15 Posts

August 12th, 2005 13:00

Thanks - I have one more slot in the back I can use for a card next to my sound card. whew!

Is there anything to do besides drop the card in?

Will it be easy to figure out where to plug my a usb2 card into ? goes to mother board? HD?

OR! should i go FIREWIRE?

Message Edited by dbuff on 08-12-2005 09:18 AM

265 Posts

August 12th, 2005 13:00

@dbuff wrote:
Thanks - I have one more slot in the back I can use for a card next to my sound card. whew!

Is there anything to do besides drop the card in?

Will it be easy to figure out where to plug my a usb2 card into ? goes to mother board? HD?

OR! should i go FIREWIRE?

Message Edited by dbuff on 08-12-200509:18 AM

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8200/replace.htm#1141415

August 12th, 2005 14:00

dbuff,

It's very easy.  Just put in the PCI card slot that you have.  Treat the plastic restraining arm with care so as not to break it, and make sure it's tight.

USB is probably more practical than firewire.  However, it depends on what the external devices you have require.  If you want both, you can get a card that has 2 slots for USB and 2 for firewire.  If you ever replace your sound card with an Audigy 2 ZS, you will get a firewire port with it. 

Your new ports will be on the outside of the back of the computer.  You will be able to plug both USB 1.1 and 2.0 cables into it.  If the device was designed to run on USB 1.1, it will only run at that speed even tho plugged into your new USB 2.0 port.

Good luck,

Jane

15 Posts

jane = thanks much for your time reponding - very helpful , clear cut answer and advice.

:)

dbuff,

Glad to help you.

Have fun with your computer.:smileyhappy:

Jane

15 Posts

August 12th, 2005 16:00

jsut a quik ques - is the pci card just plug and play or are there other connections to make
besides putting in the slot?? thanks again for making my day.

August 12th, 2005 17:00

No, not really.   I don't know if you have ever opened the case before.  So please excuse this if you already know it.  Be sure to ground yourself when working inside the computer.  First thing to do after shutting the computer off, is to unplug it from the wall.  Then you hold in the power button for 8 secs to discharge any static electricity.  After you open the case, repeatedly touch the metal on the outside if the case to ground yourself.  Press in and lift up the restraining arm.  Align the pins on the card with those on the PCI slot and gently but firmly seat the card. Replace the arm. Close the case.

Plug in and boot up the computer.  You will receive an Added New Hardware wizzard.  Let the wizzard install the drivers automatically. 

Good luck,

Jane

No Events found!