Highlighted
winkdadink
1 Nickel

high cpu usage=slow running comp

I just got a new hard drive and reinstalled windows xp and now the taskmanager has the cpu usage always above 50%. My computer runs dramatically slower than it did before. Ive run msconfig and shutdown all nonessential items at startup as well as checking taskmanager to make sure nothing is running in the background. If anyone has any help for me i would appreciate it.

Dell dimension 4550

2.66 ghz 512mb ram

windows xp

0 Kudos
14 Replies

Re: high cpu usage=slow running comp

Taskmanager, under Processes Tab, should show you what task is consuming the cpu cycles. Clicking on the CPU heading will sort entries.
0 Kudos
Francis Nguyen
4 Tellurium

Check you Primary and Secondary IDE channels.  Any item running in PIO mode?

F.

0 Kudos
winkdadink
1 Nickel

how do i check the primary and secondary ides?
0 Kudos

Device Manager will display primary and secondary ide's. Sorry, but I didn't read your original post careful enough. When you reinstalled XP did you install the chipset drivers? The chipset utility should be the very first thing run after the OS is installed. The 4550 has the 845PE chipset and running the utility is required with this chipset and XP.
0 Kudos
winkdadink
1 Nickel

i have installed the driver but i think i installed the network driver first do you think that makes a difference?
0 Kudos

No that shouldn't matter. If you look at what processes are running in device manager does that show anything?
0 Kudos
winkdadink
1 Nickel

i checked the device manager and looked at the two ides. They say run dma if available and they dont have pio selected so i think thats what your talking about. How do i check processes under the device manager. If you mean the taskmanager no nothing is running the system idle process is always in the 90s thats what confuses me. the system idle process and cpu usage contrdict each other. But when i load stuff it loads much slower than it used too. My friend and i play a game and i used to load about 30 secs faster than him now his compputer is loading faster than mine.  So i am sure it is running slower.

0 Kudos

No, I did mean processes under taskmanager. That is strange. Nothing using cpu in taskmanager yet cpu at 50%. I found a couple of things. Do you have a visioneer usb scanner:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303777&Product=winxp

There were several things mentioned in this thread that might be worth looking into:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1055080188

Also, have you installed Intels Application Accelerator?

0 Kudos
winkdadink
1 Nickel

Thanks for all the time and help but nothing seems to work. It seems like every problem i have has no solution. the only thing i havent tried is disconnecting the usb card reader. I have no idea how to do this if you know i would appreciate the help.

0 Kudos