Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

QB

June 24th, 2017 22:00

how to install a graphic card with dell pc????

So i have read many problem when install driver for gpu in dell case. most is dell mobo doesnt recognize the new gpu -> black screen error. so what are the step when install a gpu. put some in the right order

uninstall onboard gpu, download driver of new gpu, install driver, turn off pc, insert new gpu into case??

recommend that my dell bios doesnt have any settings about video graphic, so i cant use bios

why dell designed a pcie slot but they still make it very difficult to install it??

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 25th, 2017 04:00

Some systems -- particularly those more than a couple of years old - have trouble with new video cards due to the UEFI requirement.  Other, particularly budget models, have power supplies or mainboards that impose limitations on the video card's power draw.

We'd need to know the system model AND the model GPU you're installing to answer.

June 25th, 2017 05:00

its zotac gtx 950, its power consumption is 90w, it will take 25 w from my pcie slot and 75w from 6 pin ( i i use dual psu to do that). i modify the out side case so that the card will fit

now the problem is just install it. what i have to do?

June 25th, 2017 07:00

oh sr. my pc is dell inspiron 3250. i just want to know how to install a add-gpu :(

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Presumably you've replaced the power supply with something left outside the system case -- the existing power supply won't power that card.

if so, the card should work -- if not, you need to do the foregoing.

You're also going to need a 24 to 8 pin adapter, as the mainboard connector for the power supply isn't standard.

www.moddiy.com/.../Dell-Inspiron-3650-PSU-Main-Power-24%2dPin-to-8%2dPin-Adapter-Cable-(30cm).html

There's no way you're going to run that card on the stock PS.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Since you haven't completed your post (with the system model) it's impossible to answer.  

June 25th, 2017 08:00

oh i use dual psu. people say its ok

i just want to know how to install it after putting it in the case, just answer my question plzzz?

( put the steps on my 1st post in the right order)

my dell 's psu supply power for my main like normal, then i use other psu with have 6 pin pcie to supply power for the card. now i just need to connect the monitor to the card right??

but then what happend, my monitor will display everything like normal and i just need to install the driver file right? (but i scared that dell's main wont recognize the new card easily like that, dell bios doesnt have any setting (like Primary Video Adapter) for video card like other bios)

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

It's not possible unless you're clear on what equipment you have.

Did you replace the power supply (or simply disconnect the original and use just the external larger capacity one, with a 24-to-8 pin adapter?  

If so, did you disconnect the monitor from the original mainboard port and attach it to the new card?

June 25th, 2017 09:00

tks u so much, i've gone so far for this. everyone on this website say its impossible to turn dell 3250 to a gaming pc due to low power psu, 25w pice, 8 pin mainboard, and small case. but a man successfully put a gtx 660 on this pc www.userbenchmark.com/.../3458090

that really inspire me. i think i can do that

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Installing the card will deactivate the onboard video.

Yes, it should be that simple.  However, the way you've set it up, you may have trouble - you're better off disconnecting the power supply entirely and using an adapter to connect the external one.  If the system won't power up and show video, that'd be the next step.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

I would carefully watch the temperature inside the case - it's not designed to cool a system running a high-power video card, and you may have overheating problems.

June 25th, 2017 11:00

yks. i want to ask 1 small question

you say "mainboards that impose limitations on the video card's power draw" that mean the card can only draw max 25w from my pcie in every situation right? Normally, if the card take too much power than psu can provide it can make the pc to shut down suddenly, but now the card can only take max 25 w from my pcie so that cant happen?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 25th, 2017 16:00

The 3250 is sub compact and only has 25W for the LOW PROFILE PCI-E slot.  

June 28th, 2017 22:00

Hi there,

Follow some simple steps for replace a graphic card

Disconnect your computer from any power sources and turn it around with the rear facing you.

Lay the computer on its left side and remove the two captive screws holding the right side cover to the computer chassis. Pull back the cover and lift it off your computer to expose the interior.

Remove the expansion bay bracket next to the expansion slots on the bottom of your motherboard by taking out its screw and lifting it off.

Remove any previous graphics cards on your computer by lifting them off their slot. Use the same slot to put in your new graphics card, reassemble the bracket, close your computer and turn it back on.

For More Details : www.navigatorsystem.com/

No Events found!