Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 5th, 2014 07:00

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2862330 causes blue screen when trying to use USB ports on my Dell Monitor

on Studio XPS 435t / 9000 ... 

It took me a while to figure out that by now my mouse and keyboard connected to the monitor’ USB ports would cause problems by installing or not installing that another MS “devilish” update. 

If this update is installed on my original Dell setup it would cause blue screen. If not installed – blue screen again. (My guess is because of new windows update require kb2862330 as well).

As a workaround I installed kb2862330 recently by moving all peripheries from my monitor to the standard PC USB ports (and removing USB connection between the PC and the monitor as well).

Installation of the update this time was successful. However by reconnecting the USB cable between PC and monitor before startup causes blue screen again. Same appearance with the Bluetooth device (attached to the monitor).

My monitor’s webcam also needs USB connection. As a workaround:

1.) start windows 7 64 bit;

2.) Connect the USB cable when the ops are fully operational;

3.) Wait until windows downloads some additional mysterious driver;

4.) When done with webcam wait for the full shutdown (if removed earlier = BSOD).

5.) Remove the Monitor USB connection from the PC;

6.) Start PC again.

That is hilarious. I still fighting IE9-10 update on my laptop but that is an other devilish MSBS.

Please let me know if there is a real solution to this issue.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

May 5th, 2014 07:00

This security update was originally released on October 8, 2013. The security update was rereleased on January 14, 2014, for computers that are running Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) or Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. The rerelease addresses an issue in which one of the drivers of the USB 2.0 core stack is not updated in some specific computer configurations.

This is not supported by dell.

Any issues should be addressed with microsoft.

Most likely scenario is that you have usb based malware and only a clean install will fix it.

After you install this security update on a computer that is running Windows 7 SP1 or Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, you may receive a D1 or 100000D1 stop error message that resembles the following:

STOP: 0x000000D1(parameter1, parameter2, parameter3, parameter4)
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Cause
The installation of security update 2862330 should update all the drivers for the USB 2.0 core stack. However, in some specific computer configurations, the Usbport.sys driver is not updated. After the USB 2.0 core stack is in a partly updated state, a D1 or 100000D1 Stop error may occur.

The stop error is observed in any of the following situations:

• When the computer is transitioning to or from a lower power state (Sleep or Hibernation)
  • When a USB port resumes from "selective suspend" mode
  • During the installation of the update itself

Resolution

To resolve this issue, use System Restore to return your system files and settings to an earlier point in time before security update 2862330 was installed. This removes security update 2862330 and brings the computer to a stable state without affecting personal files. After you complete System Restore, you should try to install security update 2862330 again.

3 Posts

May 6th, 2014 00:00

Thank you for your response. I’ve read this <ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU>from MS (in fact I’ve included this link to my post).

I am not in the mode though to be a 3rd player in ping-pong game between MS and Dell.

I try again:

a.) The problem is (as I see it) that after installing this MS update the USB ports on my SP2309W Dell Monitor stop working (correctly). PS: The Monitor’s integrated webcam relies as well on the USB cable that connects the monitor with the PC. (Sorry I somehow failed to mention the monitor’s type and make in my 1st correspondence.)

b.) Moving all my connections away from the monitor to the standard USB ports of my PC resolve all my problems. This way my PC works perfectly without flaws. No viruses and no malware please (except MS and google :)

c.) As a workaround I can connect my monitor with the PC via the monitor’s factory USB cable in six steps I’ve described it in my original post. If I try to connect the Monitor before startup OR I remove the cable before shutdown I get blue screen. However it is NOT a DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL STOP: 0x000000D1 BUT a STOP:0x000000A1 (meaning periphery not an USB problem). I made research but I failed to come up with any meaningful solution.

My understanding that the main cause is the MONITOR and its USB’s that cannot be updated.

My question if Dell was doing something to make its monitor’s ports working or there are other options here as well?

I last reinstalled my PC before IE10 update and this is the last thing I want to do now.

I can live without the monitor’s ports but with them it would be better.

I am considering sending my post to Dell Techsupport.

3 Posts

May 13th, 2014 16:00

After countless hours spent on figuring out a solution here I share MINE. I think it may help solving similar problems.

I believe I had multiple causes involving

a.) Dell XPS 435t/ 9000 CARD READER. My Win7/64 Studio came with 4 standard card reader slots, 4 USB ports and the motherboard integrated “convenience” sound card ports (also Realtec), all located on the top of the PC, and

b.) Dell SP2309W (FP) Monitor integrated WEBCAM drivers.

PS: I normally use Dell drivers from its support page.

What happened? Windows security update for USB drivers KB862330 caused blue screen.

SP2309W (FP) Dell monitors integrated USB ports and webcam stopped working.

USB mouse and Bluetooth Logitech keyboard often froze even on main USB ports of my computer.

Here is my solution:

1.) Disconnect SP2309W Dell monitor USB cable from any of the USB ports of the PC (causing blue screen on the first place)

2.) Install latest drivers for video card and sound card (NVidia and Creative);

3.) Uninstall KB862330 security update for USB drivers;

4.) Uninstall “platform update” KB2670838 that rolls u back to IE8.

Now my system was working correctly.

5.) Uninstall Realtec CARD reader driver that installs as a “third party” USB 2 card reader. That may be the cause for partial installation of KB862330 (see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2862330

After reboot allow Windows to install generic drivers for Realtec card reader (after that they will appear as “mass storage devices” in the device manager).

6.) Uninstall any monitor Webcam software and SP2309W (FP) Dell monitor driver. Maybe the letter is not needed. (Updated drivers are available on the Dell’s support website). After reboot let Windows install a generic driver for the monitor.

7.) Install IE10 or 11 that will reinstall “platform update” KB2670838. Install all windows security updates related to this change, ALL BUT KB862330 security update for USB drivers!

8.) Remove mouse or any other USB device away from the desktop main USB ports to the card reader’s USB ports.

9.) Install KB862330 security update for USB drivers.

10.) After reboot reconnect the Monitor’s USB cable to one of the PCs main USB ports! Let windows install generic basic drivers for webcam and Monitor based USB ports. After shutdown you can move your mouse and any other USB device back to the PCs main USB ports!

11.) Install the new SP2309W (FP) Dell monitor driver.

12.) Now reinstall the latest version of the Dell webcam software (from Dell).

I am not sure if updating it using Dell Webcam Central software (through Creative website) is a good idea but it caused no problems and works flawless.

13.) Reinstall the latest Realtec card reader (available on Dell support site). It reappears as Realtec USB 2.0 card reader in the device manager.

ALL works now perfectly well. Just don’t ask me why.

Dell website claims that all these drivers are updated though they look pretty much the same as the previous versions that did not work. My guess is that the order of installation was important.

What a saga!

By doing this way I avoided reinstalling the OPS. It probably would not help anyway. I feel KB862330 and the “platform update” KB2670838 are the main cause that should have come as part of a new SP2 for Win7/64. I wonder.

Many thanks for Dell for the linguistic support! 

No Events found!