Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 14th, 2011 12:00

identifying ethernet controller on dimension E310

Just did a clean reinstall on a computer that was given to me. Had the XP disk, but not the driver disk and unfortunately did not save the drivers. I went to the Dell Drivers and Downloads site to download the drivers in the order suggested. For some reason under System Propoerties>Device Manager>Other Devices>Ethernet Controller...I am getting that yellow question mark and exclamation point error. What is the best way to identify the Ethernet Controller device in the system so that I can download the driver. Or did I miss a step? Thx!

6.4K Posts

September 14th, 2011 13:00

Yes, connecting to MS Updates will get you all the critical updates.  Be patient as it will take some time.

If you have not already installed an anti-virus program you might want to do that before you connect too much to the Internet, and be sure your firewall is enabled.

3 Posts

IT WORKED...thanks so much!! Do i just go to the MS updates page to recognize all the updates that I will need? any other suggestions. Thanks again!

3 Posts

BLUE SCREEN---looks urgent. Everything was going well and I have able screen that says:

STOP: c000021a

The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status o

= 0x00000080 (0x00000000 0x00000000).

The system has been shut down.

I have connectivity and had just installed AVAST and was installing Zone Alarm and it would not allow me to install. Then the above screen came up. It is still up and I have not touched it. Suggestions??

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

beachnut12

Did you install the drivers in the following order?

Desktop System Software
Chipset
Video 
Network Interface Card [NIC], aka Ethernet.
Audio
Modem [if required]

Then all other drivers and applications.

Followed by installing the Anti Virus utility, updating the definitions, then all the critical Microsoft updates.

The e310 Network/Ethernet driver is HERE

Note. Don't use Dell's download Manager, choose the 'Download Using via Browser' option, when selecting a file to download.

Connect the USB drive to the PC you wish to install the drivers on, go to My Computer, click the USB drive to locate the folder, open the folder and install the drivers, in the correct order.  Reboot the system after loading each driver.

Bev.

6.4K Posts

Zone Alarm has been known to cause trouble in the past.  I believe I would stick to the Windows firewall in preference to ZA.  Microsoft's take on this problem is here:  How to Troubleshoot a Stop 0xC0000021.  You may find it easier to simply start over.  Normally you could uninstall the program, and if your computer will still start up in safe mode you might be able to do that.  Read the Microsoft material and if that doesn't seem to help, try starting in safe mode (F8 right after the Dell logo disappears from the screen after you start the computer) to see if you can reach the Add/Remove programs in the control panel.  If so, uninstall Zone Alarm.

6.4K Posts

There is only one driver listed on the downloads page for the Ethernet port, and that is for the Intel Pro/100 VE.  It is the third file in the Network category.  The remaining files are for a wireless network card and two files for diagnostics and instructions.

No Events found!