Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 5th, 2017 14:00

inspiron i3847 desktop starts but won't boot into windows

have a dell inspiron i3847 desktop - bought May 25, 2016. When I hit start button, machine powers up and light stays on, but hard drive light goes off after 15 seconds and no Windows boot. What could the problem be and is there a fix

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

September 6th, 2017 08:00

Thank you for your message.

Has there been any recent software changes like Windows update or software installation like game or anti-virus installation?

What is the status of the power button light? Is it blinking amber?

Restart the computer & tap F2 to get into bios & check if the hard drive is detected.

Disconnect the power cord from the back of the tower, press & hold down the power button for 30 seconds, this will release the static. Connect the power cord back in & start the computer & check the status of the power button light.

For my records please click on my Dell username & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

September 6th, 2017 09:00

The problem is data corruption due to windows updates OR physically bad hard drive.

The fix is to replace hard drive and reinstall OS.

3 Posts

September 6th, 2017 10:00

Hello, Sreejith, Thank you for reply and questions.

No new software but possibly an update to Windows 7 (my OS of choice) after I shut down the night previous.

The power button light is white and stays on. The other light showing hard drive is white, too, but it only stays lit for about 15-20 seconds.

re: checking the bios, I'll let my husband do that when he gets home later.

I did as you instructed about the power cord. I pulled it and then held the power button for 30 seconds and reinsterted the plug. I was so hoping this would work,, but after reinserting the plug and pushing on the start button, I again get a white light showing power and the hard drive light being lit for itw 15-20 seconds and then going out. And of course, no Windows or activity on the monitor, which we have checked and it is working.

Thank you for your help and I'll check about the hard drive recognition in the bios. If it doesn't show recognition, I'm fresh out of luck, i.e. replace hard drive, yes?  

What if the hard drive is recognized, however?  

I have a 4 year purchase protection on the Dell, but it's only just over a year old. And this is the second machine (same Dell i3847 I've had fail. I thought this was a good machine. It cost me $900 in May 2016.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

September 6th, 2017 15:00

I would suspect a video problem if the power button is steady white, the hard drive activity light comes on briefly (It's on only when the HDD is being accessed.) and the monitor is known to be working on a different PC.

BTW: when you tested the monitor, was it tested with the same video port on the monitor and cable that you use with the 3847 or with a different port and cable?

Assuming you have an add-in video card, physically remove the card and move the monitor cable to one of the onboard video ports (HDMI or VGA).  You have to remove the card first because the onboard ports are probably disabled while the add-in card is installed. That should tell you if it's a video card failure or some other issue...

And since you're under warranty, you probably want to contact Dell Tech Support directly.

3 Posts

September 6th, 2017 18:00

Dear Ron,  

the on light is steady but the video I have is on the motherboard, there's no video card, per se.

As for being under warranty, the machin,een, no boot. I even plugged in a manual keyboard and mouse had I been able to get into bios, but no luck.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

September 7th, 2017 05:00

Disconnect the Data cable from the hard drive and turn it on.  It should stop on an error that says hard drive is missing.  Black Screen of death is quite common for windows 7,8,10 data corruption. You should also be able to F2  F12 F2  F12 your way to boot menu.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

September 7th, 2017 06:00

Do you see the Dell logo when you start the system?

Please share the details requested on a private message. If the system is under warranty we can replace parts as per warranty.

No Events found!